Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creaking/Popping noise on Macbook Pro 2015 + Genius Bar experience

So I've had my 2015 MBP retina for about 2 months now, and just last week i noticed an incredibly obnoxious popping/creaking noise coming from the body whenever I touched the Macbook. I ended up setting up an appointment for the genius bar, because the noise was so frequent to the point where it made using my Macbook unbearable.

I told the genius bar employee told about the problem I was having, and even after he was able to replicate the noise, he told me it was "normal" and that even his personal Macbook makes occasional popping noises. He told me the only thing they could do was replace the screen, which "probably wouldn't permanently stop the noise." I asked him if he could just replace the Macbook, but he said my Macbook was "too old" to simply replace (only 2 months old!). He very obviously did not want to replace my Macbook, and when he asked me if I wanted the screen replaced I said nothing. After picking up my visual cues that I was NOT leaving without a proper fix, he got a manager and I eventually walked out of the store with a new Macbook.

Moral of the story: if your 2015 MBP has been creaking, go to the genius bar and see if the employee actually knows what to do. If he/she doesn't (the problem has something to do with loose screws) , ask for a replacement and go from there. This obviously isn't an isolated problem, as I've seen many posts on this forum from people with the same problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:58 PM

1 reply

Creaking/Popping noise on Macbook Pro 2015 + Genius Bar experience

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.