Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 plus display freeze, white flickering screen comes down from top, apps open on their own. other buttons work, just screen inop

iphone 6 plus display freeze, white flickering screen comes down from top, apps open on their own. other buttons work, just screen inop, tried restore twice, one with restored backup and one with new phone set up. 128g

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 5:38 PM

32 replies

Oct 7, 2018 1:06 AM in response to thelowes299

I brought my phone to apple store, salesperson said this was not unusual, and described it as a "batch problem". Phone was about 3 months out of 1 year warranty, wanted to charge $329.00 to replace for a problem that was a factory defect from the get go.

Jul 30, 2015 7:50 PM in response to thelowes299

I have this same problem. It does it randomly throughout the day. it started a few weeks ago i think it was after a software update but. it either stops responding or the screen flickers. the home button works so ill either go to the home screen or shut the screen off and turn it back on. I just noticed tonight that the top strip of the screen above the wifi/ battery indicators flickers when it shouldnt. it started once every few days and now its 2-3 times per day minimum.

Did the new Iphone fix the problem thelowes299 or has it started doing it also?

Sep 2, 2015 11:42 AM in response to thelowes299

I had the same problem with my iPhone 6 Plus. I have the solution.

1. Call Apple Care, 800-275-2273.

2. Have them make you an appointment at your local Apple Store. Do not go without an appointment!

3. Go to appointment.

4. Get a brand new iPhone.

I went today and I had a new phone in 5 minutes.

Previously I reset the phone numerous times, erased settings and started over numerous times, yelled and cussed at it, threatened to throw it off a bridge, and yelled at Siri. None of these worked. So just take it to Apple and they will help. I am very impressed with the Apple Store service.

Oct 6, 2015 8:45 AM in response to iErik66

Called Apple Support. They were no help at all. Told them about the support forum posts that indicated this is a hardware issue, but they insisted I make an attempt to restore the device to factory settings. Horrible, disconnected customer support. So frustrating. Guess I will make a Genius Bar appointment on my own.

Oct 9, 2015 11:51 AM in response to thelowes299

The same thing is happening to my phone, all they tell you to do is do the restore, but it keeps happening. I dread going to the apple store to get it fixed. I have done all the basic solutions, reset, hard reset, erase and restore, and even erase and setup as a new phone. My iPhone 6 plus constantly gets stuck frozen and every now and then the screen flickers. The problem about setting up a genius appointment is, that this happens completely at random several times a day. I don't know when the problem will be replicated, so even if i take it in front of a genius and at that moment it works fine, they will just give me some useless answer. I really think its a hardware issue, because i have gotten frustrated with the phone a few times and tapped it, and tapping seems to make the problem go away. I am very disappointed about the quality of the phones and the software in recent years!!!

Oct 10, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Bez007

SO a few months have gone by and the problem just keeps getting worse. I timed it one time and it took right at 5 minutes to get in my phone and get the screen to respond. It was fine the first 7 months and then started this after an update. I've been through atleast 4 update since this has started on one of the last versions of iOS 8 and now still happening on the 2nd version of iOS9. My wife has the iPhone 6 and it started doing this as well Around the same time as my phone back in June/July. She has the 6s now and if I remember correctly she said it has done it once or twice also. This has got to be a software bug I would think. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution to this problem. This is getting really irritating and starting to push me to get a droid. I love my iPhone but if I can't use the screen then it's useless to me.

Oct 10, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Pick_Bobby

So what troubleshooting have you tried since July? If you restore the device as new and without adding additional content the behavior continues, like the others here in the post, it is a hardware problem. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store and have it looked at. If your wife's 6s is doing this, did you restore that device from a backup of an older phone? If so, it could be something corrupt in the backup file that is following over to the new device. I've no issues with my 6s, nor anyone else that I know around here with one.

Oct 22, 2015 9:29 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

after reading your post I realized both times I wiped the phone I restored from a backup. So that night I wiped it again and started fresh without restoring anything. That did nothing. Neither did removing the glass screen protector. the problem seemed to be worse in the morning when the device was cold. monday it took me 1 hour and 40 minutes to get in my phone to shut the alarm off when I woke up. The next day took over 3 hours. I went to verizon and did a warranty claim and got a "new used" phone. We will see how this one goes. I just got the new device today and am downloading ios 9.1 right now. fingers crossed.

Oct 22, 2015 9:42 PM in response to Pick_Bobby

Thanks for the update, but why in the world would you go to Verizon for a warranty claim. Apple is the one that deals with warranty, and the "new used" that you got from Verizon could be something they "refurbished" and could be anything. Take that to Apple and they might even refuse service if someone other than Apple did the refurbish. Any warranty claim or work you need to have done on an iPhone should be taken to Apple, with the exception of those countries where the carrier handles claims or an Authorized Apple Service Provider. In the US, it should always be Apple.

iphone 6 plus display freeze, white flickering screen comes down from top, apps open on their own. other buttons work, just screen inop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.