Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

having to re-download purchased songs after updating

With each of the last few ipod Itouch software updates, after updating, I've had to re-download hundreds of songs I've already purchased.

I've tried manually syncing with the iTunes database on my laptop, but it doesn't seem to work, even with phone and chat support.

I'm ok with re-downloading, if it works, but there are a lot of songs, and the download just hangs and never completes.

The last time I worked with Apple support, I asked how to sync with the laptop database and not have to download. The songs are in there.

I was told if it says it's downloading, then just let it download. ok, but that's not working.

It used to work simply, I would purchase a song, it would download, and stay on the ipod. I'm not sure what happened, but it no longer just works like it used to.

I use only one ipod, one laptop and one library.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

iPod touch (5th generation)

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 5:49 PM

6 replies

Jul 8, 2015 6:58 AM in response to lllaass

Hi, the ipod was connected to the laptop's usb port, and I downladed/installed the update through itunes on the laptop via wifi.

At the end of the installation, the ipod restarted with the status indicator at the bottom, and with itunes on the laptop indicating that the installation was proceeding. It seemed to complete with no problems. After the ipod restarted, there seemed to be no activity, as though the installation was complete. I opened Itunes/music on the ipod when I went to songs, a message at the top said "downloading 685 songs". This eventually seemed to hang, so I contacted support via the web where they can see my screen. I asked them if I could have it set up so that the songs are no longer removed from my ipod, and i just sync with the laptop database. He had me manually sync, which took just a minute. When it was done, we went to my itunes on the laptop, clicked on Device in itunes, clicked on music, and it showed a total number of songs that seemed to be correct, however there were many songs with a circle next to them, as though they were downloading, but just kind of hung and did not download. The ipod itself still had the 685 songs downloading message, which was still hung up and not progressing. The itunes database/library on the laptop itself seems to have all the songs there. I don't believe I ever had anything enabled to back up to the cloud, just the laptop.

thank you,

Paul

Jul 8, 2015 8:11 AM in response to GGazoo

- If you update the iPod via iTunes the iPod gets erased and if all the songs are not in your iTunes library they will not be on the iPod after the update is complete.

- Sometimes a glitch occurs anyways and yo have to restore via iTunes and sync the songs to your iPod via iTunes sometimes a restore to factory settings/new iPod

having to re-download purchased songs after updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.