Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My music is no longer available on my iPhone unless I am on wifi

I have been working with support on various issues since the new upgrade. I cannot access my 3400 songs on iTunes on my phone unless I am connected to wifi. I spent a long time on the phone with support and I am told I should get the music from offline by going by artist to get them back on my phone. This will take some time but this is their best solution. Any better ideas?

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:43 PM

Did you activate any of the new Apple music services. Your music, if downloaded to your phone, should also still be in your iTunes library. In the Music app, select My Music and that should be your downloaded music on your phone, unless you selected one of the new music services, which could have uploaded your music to the cloud, which is why you need the Wi-Fi connection.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:43 PM in response to Barbiec

Did you activate any of the new Apple music services. Your music, if downloaded to your phone, should also still be in your iTunes library. In the Music app, select My Music and that should be your downloaded music on your phone, unless you selected one of the new music services, which could have uploaded your music to the cloud, which is why you need the Wi-Fi connection.

Jul 7, 2015 6:58 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris -

I just got rid of any cloud above the free 5 GB this weekend and cleaned it all up with the help of apple support. All of my music is saved to my mac. And it is all on my phone but all but about 10 of my approx 3400 songs are greyed out. So I was told by apple support I had to get them all back from offline bit by bit - they suggested by artist. It is taking a while and to be honest I will have to go through and be certain I got them all until i am successful. The rep checked with her supervisor and this is the best they can offer. I did not choose Apple tunes or whatever it is called. But i did do the new upgrade. Doe that answer your questions?

Jul 7, 2015 7:20 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris - I am not sure I understand. All of my music is on my Mac and all of it is on my phone (much of it is still greyed out), but I cannot play it unless I am on wifi which is why they have me doing this access music offline thing at which time it will hopefully all be blackened and available. I do not want to use data to play the music I own. Does that make sense?

Jul 7, 2015 7:23 PM in response to Barbiec

Yes, but if the music is grayed out, then it sounds as if it was being removed from your device to the cloud, like you activated Apple Music. If you did not activate that, then all you should really have to do is sync your music back from iTunes on the computer. The offline music issue is what they use to download music to your device to play when offline. I'm not sure that is your problem if you did not activate that service.

Jul 7, 2015 7:34 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris - Well, I did not activate apple music, I did not even accept the trial. However, I just checked again and somehow, SHOW APPLE MUSIC was turned on - even though I know I have turned it off more than once before. this downloading seems to be going a lil faster right now but I am still quite a ways from re-access of it all. when I just now plugged it into my computer, it showed a library of only 700+ songs at that time which is only about 20% of the music that is loaded on my phone.

Jul 7, 2015 7:48 PM in response to Barbiec

I don't know. I have a Windows computer, and when I upgraded to iOS 8.4, I went into settings and turned off Show Apple Music. I've not lost any music on my phone, or in my iTunes library. I also did not lose any playlists, and I've tested a bit of my music and not seen anything grayed out. If you open the Music App on your phone and look at the screen, do you have My Music selected? And you are not seeing all of your music, or at least a lot of it is grayed out? I'm stumped, I'm sorry. You should not have to be doing any kind of download of your music, unless you had activated Apple Music or iTunes Match or the like. But, since I'm not a Mac user, I cannot comment any more on that. Did you try to just connect your iPhone to the Mac and sync your music from your iTunes library back to the phone?

My music is no longer available on my iPhone unless I am on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.