Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Waiting for activation

My wife recently upgraded to I OS 8.4 on her iPhone 5. Like many others she also is now on able to use messaging as iMessage says waiting for activation. Have tried all of the tricks logging out, logging on, turning on airplane mode, turning off airplane mode, waiting 24 hours, everything that was suggested. Does anyone have a clue as to why this does not work after you've upgraded to 8.4? I feel Apple is the new Microsoft and this is just a new version of the blue screen of death...

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:44 PM

3 replies

Jul 7, 2015 6:47 PM in response to Zkwright1

Are you using a supported carrier with the iPhone? iMessage activation requires a hidden SMS be sent to the Apple Server in the UK. This will not cost anything if you are using a supported carrier, but you must have an SMS plan. If you have waited the 24 hours, the final support step in the support document from Apple is to contact Apple Support. If you did not contact Apple Support, then you have not done everything suggested.

Jul 7, 2015 7:00 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I am going to assume that Sprint is a supported carrier as everything worked two or three days ago before the upgrade to I OS 8.4. Googling this issue makes this seem like something common ie. an error in the latest OS or upgrade process. Yes, I guess I can contact apple support so I haven't exhausted everything. That said, I expect messaging on the phone to work -- For 2 days she received no texts because of this issue. Can't wait to see the iCar...

Jul 7, 2015 7:07 PM in response to Zkwright1

Since you did not indicate your carrier in the OP, I had to check. Yes, Sprint is a supported carrier. You can try turning off iMessage, then going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. After that, go back to iMessage and attempt to turn it on and activate it again. However, if that does not work, then yes, you would need to contact Apple Support. While I have seen issues of iMessage disconnecting during updates, I've always seen it reactivate right after, or if someone turns it off and back on again. Resetting the network settings should clear any network issues. You might also need to double-check with Sprint to make sure there is no problem with your text plan to allow the activation text to be going through.

Waiting for activation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.