Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s not recognized

Hi, I need help.

I got a new computer and set up my iTunes and got syncing. I was able to get my old iPod set up, my wife's iPhone 6 and the iPad air. However, my iPhone 5s will not pop up in iTunes. The new computer seems to have trouble recognizing it. It is known as an "MTB USB Device" in the device manager that has a yellow exclamation point next to it. I have googled this so much and seen so many errors but nothing works. Not uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, uninstalling and reinstalling the iPhone driver (usbaapl64, apparently is not compatible), installing all available Windows updates, installing Windows Media Player or anything else I can find online. I even backed my phone up using iCloud and wiped it out to no avail. I am tired and just want to change some songs and back up my photos. Please help!!

Windows 8.1 64 bit

iTunes 12.2.0.145

iOS 8.4

Also, I cannot update iTunes as the update server could not be contacted.

Errors seen

0xE8000065, 0xE8000084

Driver errors, code 10 - device cannot start.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 7:16 PM

3 replies

Jul 7, 2015 7:20 PM in response to duv_498

See this ASC User tip from turingtest2 Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates to help with Windows iTunes issues. When you removed iTunes and reinstalled, I hope you did it exactly as indicated in this support document. Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

Not doing it in that order, or missing anything listed can cause problems. The yellow exclamation that you are seeing is a USB error in Windows. If you click on that properties, what is listed as the problem? It should show.

Jul 7, 2015 8:00 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I get the code 10, device cannot start error when viewing the yellow exclamation. I did not remove iTunes in any specific order but my other devices still sync without issue. I'll try this specific order next and see if that helps although I had issues with this one device after the initial install of iTunes on the new computer.

iPhone 5s not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.