Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air shuts down as soon as power cord removed

I have a 2010 13" Macbook Air that shuts off as soon as power cord is removed or unplugged. The battery holds no charge even though the battery indicator shows 100% charged... I realize the battery is built in to the motherboard on this model; can this be repaired without having to replace the entire system board? What are my options as this is no longer covered by extended warranty / apple care?

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 9:07 PM

On a 2010 MB Air, the battery could very well be passed it's cycle count > Mac notebooks: Determining battery cycle count

Unfortunately, there's no way to check the cycle count on a Mac that won't boot but five years is a long time for a battery to last.

Mac notebooks purchased after 2009 have built-in batteries and require Apple Authorized battery service.

Learn more about Mac notebook battery life

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 9:07 PM in response to richreidjr

On a 2010 MB Air, the battery could very well be passed it's cycle count > Mac notebooks: Determining battery cycle count

Unfortunately, there's no way to check the cycle count on a Mac that won't boot but five years is a long time for a battery to last.

Mac notebooks purchased after 2009 have built-in batteries and require Apple Authorized battery service.

Learn more about Mac notebook battery life

Jul 7, 2015 9:21 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks. Again, my computer boots and operates just fine with the ac cord / adapter connected. Only when I unplug the AC cord does the computer shut down, indicating the battery is completely dead.

I am going to run diagnostics to see what the battery count is, but the battery indicator in OS X shows it's fully charged and operating normally.

Rich

Macbook Air shuts down as soon as power cord removed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.