Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with alert times in ios 8.3 calendar.

Since I upgraded to ios 8.3, I've been having issues with Alert Times in Calendar. When I create a calendar entry, I can quite happily enter two alert times (an Alert and a Second Alert). However, when I save the entry, and when I close it and re-open it, the alert times are changed, often to seemingly random values. Is anyone else having this issue, or does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 10:16 PM

I have never tried multiple alerts. I did not even know it was possible.

But the current version of iOS is 8.4. You might try Settings > General > Software Update as that might solve your issue.

15 replies

Jul 7, 2015 10:31 PM in response to CharlieFromDownUnder

Again, this may not help you at all. But I have a Mac, and the Mac calendar tends to be similar to but more powerful than the iOS calendar.

For example, the Mac calendar can set up a repeating event to occur on, say, the second Thursday of every month. An iOS device cannot create such an event. (But if you create such an event on the Mac, it will function just fine on an iOS device.)

Anyway, the Mac cannot create a repeating alert for one event using any method I know.

Jul 7, 2015 10:38 PM in response to sberman

It's not a repeating alert, but rather a "second" alert. When creating a new event using Calendar on the iPhone, there are a number of options, such as "Starts", "Ends", "Repeat" etc. Further down there are two called "Alert" and "Second Alert". These are what I am referring to. They allow up to two alerts to be delivered either at the time of the event or at selected time intervals beforehand.

Jul 7, 2015 10:44 PM in response to CharlieFromDownUnder

Ah yes, I see it now. I see you have to set an alert on the iPhone before "second alert" appears. Thanks, I did not know that.

Further, I see on the Mac you can create "another" alert. So much like the iPhone, if you create an alert, you can then create a second alert. But further, if you create a second alert, you can then create a third alert ...

I appreciate the extra knowledge. I'm afraid it won't help with your issue. So I hope the iOS 8.4 upgrade helps.

Jul 20, 2015 6:55 PM in response to CharlieFromDownUnder

I am also having this same issue with my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.4) and am working (very slowly) with Apple to address this situation. So far, no resolution but have now put two tickets into engineering. I have wiped the phone completely and done several other ideas from Apple without resolution. They have told me it is a cloud issue and not software because I can create the appointment from cloud on my windows operating system computer (with an alert and second alert) and it appears ok. But if I create a new appointment on my phone (with both alerts) it does the random switching of alert times. Three times in a row (in the same minute) after exiting and re-opening the appointment. I took screen shots to send to Apple. So frustrating that I'm missing or late to events!!! I'll keep you posted as to what they say.

Jul 20, 2015 8:21 PM in response to CharlieFromDownUnder

I'm glad someone else is having this issue. I thought it was just me. You've described exactly what I see ... I create a new appointment on my phone (with both alerts) and it does random switching of alert times after exiting and re-opening the appointment. Sometimes it even puts in an alert time that I didn't put in. For example, I just now created an appointment with alert times of 5-minutes and 15-minutes. When I close and re-open the appointment multiple times I get the following: 1. Time-of-event and 5-minutes, 2. 5-minutes and 15-minutes, 3. 15-minutes and Time-of-event, 4. Time-of-event and 5-minutes, 5. Time-of-event and 15-minutes, etc.

One thing I have noticed now that I've looked at it more closely is that (in the few times I've looked at it at least) the alerts do seem to sound when they're supposed to, even though they often display incorrectly.

I intend to upgrade to 8.4 sometime ... we'll see if that fixes it.

Jul 20, 2015 8:49 PM in response to CharlieFromDownUnder

You described my experiences exactly with the same times even you've had issues with as well. I've also had problems with one and two hours and sometimes they don't ring at all. I had the same issue in 8.3 and again in 8.4. I also had this issue when I had my 5s. The only solution was when my phone was replaced for other issues (as well as this). Apple asked me if I had loaded any other apps at the time my issues started. I don't have any other calendar apps nor do I use another calendar that interfaces with my iPhone calendar. I haven't had any issues when I only use one alert reminder. Very frustrating!!! Apple is supposed to be calling me back again tomorrow. We'll see!!! I'll keep you posted.

Jul 20, 2015 9:46 PM in response to IABaseballMom

You're right when you say "sometimes they don't ring at all." I've done a bit more testing, and in fact the alerts DON'T always go off at the original times (I must have just been lucky before). Sometimes it misses one or both of them. So far I've not had a problem when I set a single alert at "Time-of-event." But when I set a single alert at, say, 5-minutes before, it still alternates between that single alert and two alerts, one at 5-minutes and one at Time-of-event. A quick test shows that the alerts sound at both those times, even though I only set it for 5-minutes before. Still, that's better than no alert.

By the way, my phone is still a 5s, so it sounds like the issue is independent of both hardware and software.

I'll be interested to hear if Apple has anything to say.

Issues with alert times in ios 8.3 calendar.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.