Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in Mail, how is a person's name associated with an address?

I have a situation where email addresses for a position (treasuerer@example.com) are moved from one person to another as things change.

Problem is, on an incoming message that's listed as coming from e.g., Bob<treasuerer@example.com> when the responsibility is moved to Pat, so I'd like that to show up as Pat<treasuerer@example.com>

I thought this came from the Previous Recipients list, so cleared out the corresponding entries there, but there was no effect on the incoming messages.

Can someone tell me how to un-do these assignments, and/or how to re-establish new assignments of name to address?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), AEBS, iPh 5s, Air1,1, Macbook2,1

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 8:03 PM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2015 9:05 PM in response to Michael King

According to Mail (Yosemite): Address an email message:

"Mail tries to complete addresses as you type them, based on people it finds in the Contacts app and the Previous Recipients list, and on any available network servers".

So, besides removing a contact from the Previous Recipients list, you'll need to edit the corresponding email addresses in your Contacts app, or remove the contact entirely. As far as what name and address is delivered to you by a network server, that will need to be changed at that end.

Mail (Yosemite): Manage email addresses in the Previous Recipients list

Mail (Yosemite): Use Smart Addresses

in Mail, how is a person's name associated with an address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.