Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto prints only in Black & White

Hi, I have a HP 2545 inkjet printer. Lately, I found that whatever I print from my MacBook Air(Early 2014 - updated Yosemite) it only prints in Black and White. I made sure that the supply levels are good and the test page also prints in color. I tried printing the same documents with HP's iPad app and it prints colours without any issue. So, it clarifies that the issue could be with my Mac. I also tried to print an image using iPhoto and saw that it has "Black & White" selected by default. I'm not even given an option to select "Colour" instead of "Black & White". As I click on the dropdown for printing colour, it has only two option --> 1. Black & White - Draft, 2. Black & White. What should I do now? How can I sort this out? (Note: The colour cartridge is new, full and working with other devices too)

Thanks in advance..

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), Mac OS X (10.7.5), 10.9.4 is the version of my Mac OS

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 9:57 PM

5 replies

Jul 8, 2015 5:45 AM in response to iSudeep

Does it happen for each and every photo you try to print?

What happens when you print to PDF on your Mac? Does it also print in Black&White? If yes, check the color profile that has been assigned to your photos.

You can check the embedded color profiles in the Preview.app, if you open a photo in Preview. Open the Tools menu in Preview select "Infor" to show the Info panel.

The print panel has also a color profile option. Is that, where you can only select Black&White?

Jul 8, 2015 10:02 AM in response to iSudeep

Three tests:

1 - export a photo to the Desktop, open with Preview and try to print from there.k

2 - as a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

3 - log into another user account on your Mac and try to print from iPhoto there. Is the problem repeated?

User uploaded file

Jul 8, 2015 8:05 PM in response to léonie

Not just a photo, but everything I print from my MacBook is just in B&W. PDFs are also printed in B&W.

The Color Model in Preview > Tools > Inspector is RGB. Also the Color Sync Profile says "Adobe RGB". Info > Color > Profile is also RGB.

Now the print panel. It has an option to check if I want to print in B&W, I unchecked it and so it has to print in color. But it only prints B&W.

Jul 8, 2015 8:35 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Toad, I tried all your 3 steps.

1. Actually I started printing with Preview app, it printed B&W though I didn't check the option to print in B&W colors. So then I went for iPhoto and it did the same. One observation here is when I pressed cmd+p in iPhoto selecting a picture, by default I see the color scheme "Black and White - Draft" the only other option I have is "Black and White". Now in the print the panel of iPhoto I again see that B&W selected by default, now no matter how may times I click in the check box it doesn't want to change; which means it keeps B&W option selected. Then, I selected a different print profile which now shows the print preview in color, so I printed it expecting it prints in color; still no use, it again printed in B&W.

2. The Option Key thing with iPhoto, yes, I did try that too. Imported a few other photos to this new library and again they are printed in B&W.

3. I logged into other user, tried all the steps 1 & 2 also those that Leonie suggested above, still no use.

I don't know what options now I'm left with!!!

iPhoto prints only in Black & White

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.