Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app photo resize button missing in Mountain Lion

I used to be able to resize jpegs in Mail, in Snow Leopard, by clicking a photo resize popup button at the bottom right of the app's window. Since upgrading to Mountain Lion I no longer have that button. Previous posts have suggested removing plugins from Mail, but I have none.

Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 2.8 GHz, 4GB ram

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 10:28 PM

12 replies

Jul 8, 2015 2:13 PM in response to duncantho

I think I've found the answer. For most jpegs the Image Size pop up does indeed appear, immediately below the From pop up. But not for all. I'm guessing that jpegs have to be above a certain size, which makes sense in most cases — but not all. In my case I was working with smallish images that I wanted to shrink to thumbnails.

Mar 7, 2016 10:28 AM in response to NetFlight

Thanks for your reply, NetFlight.

I just checked Mail's handling of PNGs vs. JPEGs. I see no difference. If I attach a small PNG the resize button doesn't appear. If I attach a larger PNG the button appears, at least on my Mac. That includes copying and pasting as well as dragging and dropping. Same as with JPEGs. So my guess is it's a size "feature", i.e. there's an assumption no one would want to shrink an already small image.

Regards.

Mar 7, 2016 10:34 AM in response to NetFlight

15:34:05 Thanks for your reply, but I do often print scree and paste into mail and I need to doble click (then I noticed the image is a tiff file), resize, save and re-attached.

Stlill need help

15:32:22 1. Yes, for attached JPEG images, the button is shown, but when you copy and paste the button does not appear (noticed pasted image opens as TIF file)

El Capital, Mail 9.2 (3112)

Any help?

Mar 7, 2016 10:54 AM in response to duncantho

I using El Capital El Capital, Mail 9.2 (3112). I am not sure how big the file needs to be, but I am using Shft Control Command 4 and paste with Ctrl V.

After saving the pasted image it is a file with 229 KB.

As you can see the file is not big and I don't need it smaller, I need it scaled down in size.

So still need help.

I was not able to attach the tiff image here for you to see.

Mar 7, 2016 11:09 AM in response to NetFlight

I'm not familiar with Shift Control Command 4, and indeed can't get it to do anything on my Mac. For screenshots I do Shift Command 4. There is no saving to do, as the captured image appears automatically on the desktop as a PNG. If I open an image in Preview I can then do a Shift Command 4 to grab part of the image, again with no saving, and paste directly into Mail (without producing a screenshot on the desktop). Either way I get a resizable TIF. With a file as small as about 260 KB this works. I'm not sure what the cutoff is but our identifying thumbnails on this page, for instance, are too small to resize.

Mar 7, 2016 11:42 AM in response to duncantho

Thanks again for your promptness

Indeed, what you do is an option, nevertheless I do a few steps less.

Shift Command Crtl 4 sends the "print screen captured" to a buffer and I can paste it directly into the mail body without going into the desktop and preview and another Shift Command 4.

By the way in my El Capital (macbook):

- Shif Command 4 (windoewd cut) and 3 (full window) sends the captured screen to a file.

- Shift Command Crt 4 (windowed) and 3 (full) keeps the captured screen to a buffer.

If I drag a PNG/JPG/TIF file into the mail body or if i don what you explained in your previous answer I do get the resize button as you told.

But I do not get the button when using Shift Command Crtl 4 (that for me reduces the copy/paste process), although I am not getting the rezise button.

Can you verify that for me?

regards.

Mar 7, 2016 11:53 AM in response to duncantho

I failed to do Shift Control Command 4 properly earlier (brain ****). I didn't know about it until your tip. It's brilliant. Anyway, when I use it to paste directly into Mail I get the resize button. So it works in my case.

I don't know what you suggest for you other than the usual suspects — repair permissions, restart, fiddle about with p-lists, etc. (I rely on the help of others as regards system-related files.)

Mail app photo resize button missing in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.