Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts

Hi,

In the contacts on the Iphone, you can add [social profiles] like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

I use these a lot. For business wise, I find it useful to see twitter and LinkedIn updates.

There are several ways/formats in how to enter the link to the LinkedIn profile.

And not all of them open directly the LinkedIn profile.

I know three types of format to enter the link to the profile: This is in the field [add social profile] in the native contacts app on the Iphone.
When adding contact details.

1) www.linkedin.com/profile/view*****
2) linkedin://#profile/*****

3)https://www.linkedin.com/in/*****

When entering these formats in the [social profile] field and I select <LinkedIn> as the source, the links do not work.
I get an error message in Safari on my Iphone.

When adding these links in the field [Homepage] (as in a web address for websites), the links open perfectly. Both into Safari as well as in the LinkedIn app on my Iphone.

My question is:

What is the correct way (correct as in the working way) to enter the link to the profile of the contact on LinkedIn. Using the field [ add social profile] on my Iphone?

This is important to me, because I use these fields together with some of my apps (like Tempo Smart Calendar and Sunrise calendar), these can lookup the contacts that I meet.

Before the meeting I am able to view their latest Tweets and I can view their LinkedIn profile, so I get an idea who I am going to meet.

Sorry screen prints are in Dutch. :-)

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4, Intensive user

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 12:34 AM

4 replies

Sep 11, 2017 12:33 AM in response to DengKao

You need to edit your LinkedIn profile and create a custom URL.

I found that the steps described in this webpage https://merchantprotocol.com/2090/know-linkedin-username-url-public-profile/ worked perfectly for me (it's not my page, it's just one I found via a Google search)

After creating my custom URL, I entered just the name that I'd created into my iOS contact's social profile and it works!

Good luck!

Sep 11, 2017 2:16 AM in response to AndyRoweUK

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply.

I did check this and like I mentioned above, I did try several options. But they will not open the actual (correct) LinkedIn page of the contact.

I can edit my own profile URL...but not the ones of my contacts.

And some did work, and now no longer work.
It is a pitty, that is not fully integrated, as I use the LinkedIn info in my calendar etc.

Thanks

Dennis

Nov 14, 2017 9:31 AM in response to DengKao

I was having this same problem too. They need to enter only their profile ID, e.g. what usually comes after "linkedin/in/" for their URL. I was able to get this to work for my contact card. If it doesn't work the first time, try closing the LinkedIn app, then changing their linkedin address and then trying again.

Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.