Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer backed up itunes folder from ext HD to new ipod touch

Can a new ipod touch retrieve my backed up itunes folder from an external hard drive? How do I do this is it a matter of connecting my ipod to the Hard Drive or do I need a computer/laptop to do this through. The latest version I have is Mac Os X 10.6.8 (laptop)

Then if it works and all the music/audiobooks are on my iPod can this somehow be backed up to icloud? And will it recognise stuff I have not purchased through Apple, ie cd's etc....?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 9:11 AM

1. Not directly.

2. You need to do this through a computer.

3. Your previous iTunes Store purchases may or may not be in the iCloud; it depends on whether they're still available in the iTunes Store and what country you're in. Free redownloads normally aren't allowed for audiobooks.

4. Content from outside the iTunes Store that is on the drive will be recognized. Those songs won't be in the iCloud unless uploaded to it.

(129904)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2015 9:11 AM in response to dog lover

1. Not directly.

2. You need to do this through a computer.

3. Your previous iTunes Store purchases may or may not be in the iCloud; it depends on whether they're still available in the iTunes Store and what country you're in. Free redownloads normally aren't allowed for audiobooks.

4. Content from outside the iTunes Store that is on the drive will be recognized. Those songs won't be in the iCloud unless uploaded to it.

(129904)

Transfer backed up itunes folder from ext HD to new ipod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.