Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are most of my photos appearing as grey boxes?

I noticed my iPhoto icon was different when I signed on to my iMac. When I opened iPhoto, most of my pictures appeared as grey boxes and the amount of photos seems to have doubled from the original amount. What happened to my pictures and how do I get them back?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 11:40 AM

Try reopening iPhoto with the option/alt and command keys held down and rebuild the library.

iPhoto Library rebuild

3 replies

Jul 8, 2015 11:54 AM in response to janfromfortwayne

It would appear that you choose to update to OS X 10.10.3 - if you then then the Photos App was added to your system which accounts for the different icon - new program, new icon

I(f that is the case then the first time you launch Photos it migrates the last used iPhoto library over

iPHoto is still in your applications folder and still works fine (you need version 9.6.1 - if you were not up to date when you updated the OS see Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

When you get straight on exactly what you have and what program you are running post back with details of what you have and any other info you can provide including messages, errors and details of wha you see

LN

Why are most of my photos appearing as grey boxes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.