Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XSAN Setup in Server v4

I am trying to upgrade my XSAN Metadata Controllers to Yosemite and Server v4. The problem I am running into, is that when I go into the XSAN and try to turn it on, of course the window pops up giving the options to create a new SAN, join an existing SAN, or to restore a previous SAN setup. When I try to restore the previous setup, I get into it and it tells me I have to setup an Open Directory Master on the computer. I already have an Open Directory Master server which the XSAN Controller is connected to. I can see the users and groups in the correct windows in Server and it shows a green light as it is connected in the System Preferences. So my question is, what do I need to do here. In the server help document under setting up a SAN, it does say that you can configure users and groups from another server. Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 10:35 AM

2 replies

Jul 8, 2015 1:37 PM in response to wyattkeel

I know you're dealing with OS X 10.10 but in OS X 10.8 and 10.9 you installed the Server app on the upgraded controller and then joined it to the existing OD as a replica. Just adding the machine to the OD through System Preferences > Users & groups > Login Options will not have the desired effect. The Xsan admin will force you to create an OD before it lets you add another controller.

After the server is joined as a replica, you should be able to open Xsan manager and either join the existing SAN config or restore a config from a backup with out the setup wizard forcing you to create an OD master.

Hope that helps.

Jul 8, 2015 6:10 PM in response to wyattkeel

Server app wants to make your MDC an Open Directory server because SAN configurations are stored in LDAP on Yosemite. The primary MDC will be an OD master and each secondary MDC will be an OD replica. While you could use OD for a lot more, it is only required for storing the Xsan configs. If you already have an existing directory service (such as Open Directory, Active Directory, or some other LDAP) where you store your users and groups and other stuff, you can continue using it. The MDCs can be OD servers while also being bound to the existing DS.

You can find some more background on this change here: http://www.xsanity.com/story/2014/notes-xsan4

XSAN Setup in Server v4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.