Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 mic not working with Siri and certain apps

Hi all,

all over sudden on my iPhone 5 the mic isn't working with Siri and certain apps.

What isn't working now:

- Siri (holding down the button, siri starts but when i speak there is no recorging of my voice)

- recording a video using the FRONT cam, there is no sound on the recorded video (the cam on the back records the sound)

- i can not dictate using imessage, my voice does not get recorded / translated to text

- i sure can phone, record my voice using a record app or e.g. whatsapp

This behavior comes with 8.3 and 8.4., too

so the mic itself seems not to be damaged. i checked the mic settings (allowing which app may use the mic) and activated siri itself.

I used to use Siri and stuff every day until it stopped working out of nothing. I dont get, why i can use it in e.g. recorder app.

Has anyone experienced this / a hint?

I dont want to reset the iPhone now to experience the same issue afterwards again.

Thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 11:56 AM

4 replies

May 24, 2017 6:53 PM in response to eyshmajano

You may not like this answer but it did fix all the problems I am having with Siri and external speaker not wanting to work half the time. I had bought a Bluetooth ear piece a while back and keep it charged. I just set it up where it's always on and Siri can hear me when I use it. The speaker mic for Siri quit working the update before last and I updated again today and the blasted external speaker don't want to work. So Apple is really doing a number on my phone. Thanks a freaking lot.

Jul 10, 2015 12:30 PM in response to flowmac

Hey flowmac,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It seems like the microphone on your iPhone 5 doesn't recognize audio in some situations. You've done a good job of isolating this behavior to Siri, the front camera, and voice dictation.

If you can hear recordings when using Voice Memos as described in If your voice is too faint or sounds unclear using iPhone, or iPod touch, be sure to try:

Follow these steps, testing after each with Voice Memos.

1. Unplug anything plugged into the headset jack.
  2. If you're on a call and holding your phone next to your ear, speak into the microphone and make sure you don't block it with your fingers or shoulder.
  3. If you're using a screen protector or case that covers the microphone, remove it. Clear any debris from the microphones.
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.

If you've tried these steps and [the behavior continues,] contact Apple Support.

All the best.

Jul 23, 2015 10:07 PM in response to flowmac

I have the exact same problem. I only got the mic using once when I tested it out in the Voice Memo app. Then when I switch to camera to record a video it was working and doing a voice call. But the next day the mic was not working anymore 😟

After that every time I tried the Voice Memo app to start back my mic still not working. It's annoying that Siri and during a call the speaker phone feature (speaker works just the mic) is not working!

Please fix this in the next update 😠

iPhone 5 mic not working with Siri and certain apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.