📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

watchOS 11 is now available

Introducing sleep apnea notifications, the Vitals app, training load, additional customization for Activity rings, a more personalized Smart Stack, and more. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get an accurate elliptical step/calorie/distance count

When using the watch on an elliptical it will measure fine as long as I use the movable arms. If I rest my arms on the bars or anywhere else so they are not moving it will not count anything. I have tried very combination of workouts (elliptical, indoor walk, other, etc) with or without the iPhone. Again, if I move my arms it is fine. The watch has been calibrated. I discovered the only time it is completely accurate and counting is if I keep the watch in my front or back pocket (it is getting leg movements). Does anyone have any idea how best to get a good reading (steps, distance) when using an elliptical. Thanks.

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 1:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 2:03 PM

I've yet to find a wrist worn fitness tracker that will accurately track an elliptical unless your arms are moving (and sometimes not even then).

3 replies

Jul 8, 2015 6:19 PM in response to miramarbeach

I've heard of people putting the trackers around their ankles. Now, I have what my mother always referred to as "aristorcratic ankles" but there's no way they're small enough to get any fitness tracker I've ever own around them.

Even the Polar BT footpad I have for running on a treadmill doesn't pick up elliptical movements very well.

How do you get an accurate elliptical step/calorie/distance count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.