Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you destroy a mac hard drive?

Texas universities after removing the hard drive or degaussing recycle PC's and Mac's to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDJC). How do you remove the hard drive in a Mac and/or degausse?

iPhone 3G, Windows XP

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 6:17 AM

Not a simple question. The removal of a hard drive depends on the Mac model. There is no generic instruction because Macs have been made since 1884 in hundreds of different form factors that require different techniques to access and remove the hard drives.

Faced with different Mac models, I would use this collection of illustrated repair guides. If the hard drive can come out, this site will show you how:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/Mac

An example of one of their index page for a given model:

User uploaded file

Realistically, faced with many different models, I'd hire a student who knows about Macs and pay him a hourly rate to sit in a room and remove hard drives for a day.

As for the drives' security once removed, the most secure way to avoid the possibility of later data retrieval is to physically destroy the drive. The same student can drill about three 1/4-inch holes through the drive on a drill press. You can crush the drive with a sledge hammer. I used to work in an ammunition plant; guess how the IT guys securely disposed of old hard drives there??

Allan (Texas-born and raised)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2015 6:17 AM in response to normafromnacogdoches

Not a simple question. The removal of a hard drive depends on the Mac model. There is no generic instruction because Macs have been made since 1884 in hundreds of different form factors that require different techniques to access and remove the hard drives.

Faced with different Mac models, I would use this collection of illustrated repair guides. If the hard drive can come out, this site will show you how:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/Mac

An example of one of their index page for a given model:

User uploaded file

Realistically, faced with many different models, I'd hire a student who knows about Macs and pay him a hourly rate to sit in a room and remove hard drives for a day.

As for the drives' security once removed, the most secure way to avoid the possibility of later data retrieval is to physically destroy the drive. The same student can drill about three 1/4-inch holes through the drive on a drill press. You can crush the drive with a sledge hammer. I used to work in an ammunition plant; guess how the IT guys securely disposed of old hard drives there??

Allan (Texas-born and raised)

how do you destroy a mac hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.