Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing 2 different i-pods

My Mac is synced to an i-pod nano. I have a new i-pod touch. I thought my computer would see this as a separate device with its own sync list allowing different playlists & content, but it doesn't. Must I use an old Mac for the Nano if I want to sync both i-pods & wish to avoid going manual?

iPod touch, iOS 8.4, older i-pod nano, MacBookPro 10.7.5

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 3:49 AM

When you connect each device, iTunes will identify each as a different device. What makes you think iTunes is identifying them as the same device?

Post a screen shot if that would help

How to take a screenshot on your Mac

5 replies

Jul 9, 2015 5:19 PM in response to lllaass

Thank you. I can now see that i-tunes is recognizing each device. However, I get an error message when I prepare to sync the 2nd device, that only 1 i-pod can be synced with one i-tunes library.

Therefore I have imported the needed albums for the 2nd i-pod to my old mac through home sharing. Large slow import. Tomorrow will find out if I can set up a separate sync list for this i-pod and successfully sync. it.

Thanks again.

Jul 10, 2015 1:53 AM in response to DrAnnaG

Take a screen shot of that message and post it here. You can just dract the screenshot in the the reply window. What you saysdoes not make sense.

How to take a screenshot on your Mac

The message may be saying that one device was previously synced to another iTunes library. To switch syncing coputer/libries yo hae to do things like

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive: Apple Support Communities

Jul 10, 2015 7:35 AM in response to lllaass

I just sent the screen shot. It looks like I confused the error message to mean you couldn't sync 2 i-pods when it really meant you couldn't sync to 2 different libraries. I just finished syncing the albums my wife wanted to the i-pod nano. I did not create playlists although I think I could have kept the playlists of the 2 different i-pods separate by using folders. I think she will be happy as the list will be a lot less cluttered than with playlists for each meditation album & much easier to sync in the future on the same computer as her other devices.

Thank you so much. Problem solved.

syncing 2 different i-pods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.