Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to get some advice on HD video, cameras,camcorders, and operating systems

I have been a pc user for many years. Finally got fed up with many issues I was having with HD capturing, editing, burning with windows, movie maker, Nero etc.Just the other day I purchased the iMac 21.5 on the advice from a few apple users. I have been making videos from my Sony HDR FX-7 which happens to be like 9 years old which I've been using besides the other older Sony & HiTachi cameras. Unfortunately at this point in time my HDR FX-7 is not compatible with the Mac OS as well as iMovie. I am not a professional in any way, I simply have been doing dance recitals of both my daughter & granddaughter, and a lot of family functions, just to mention a few. I like the wide angle zoom features on the camera quite much. Just for the past day or two I have touched base with Canon camera people seeking advice of what would be a good fit for my price range ($2500 top line) I was using the old mini tape media, Canon mentioned to me on the 4K media and the other media that's up and coming.

If anyone can advise me on this pressing matter of what to buy and or what media would best suite my needs. Oh yes, what would be a good s/w to go along with what ever help anyone is able to offer.

Thanks

Sincerely

Wally

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Dell XPS 410

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 3:34 PM

6 replies

Jul 8, 2015 5:35 PM in response to Wally2007

I also had an older Sony Camcorder. I replaced that with a Canon HFM50. I only film in AVCHD and I use Toast to burn blu ray quality DVD's using standard DVD discs. I also use iMovie but the quality is not as good as Toast. Canon also supplies some software that can be used on your Mac but I usually just use Toast. The camera uses an SD card that I usually remove and insert in my SD slot on my Mac to download the movie. I find this easier than trying to connect directly from the camera. The new 4K cameras are expensive and not sure you can see the difference on playback unless you also have 4K TV. I find my camera very easy to use and has more than enough features for my use.

Jul 8, 2015 7:22 PM in response to Wally2007

Congratulations on coming over from the Dark Side. You must be stubborn. Doing video work on a PC for all those years must have involved a lot of suffering.

I have a Canon Vixia HF S200, not up at your level, but still shoots superb HD video. (So does my iPhone 6+, for that matter). The Canon was 500 bucks refurbished. I use it for family stuff, kids' recitals, and also for shooting some surgery video in the OR, which looks excellent, even after extensive cropping. OR video is difficult to get right, as the lighting is extreme, and the differences between different tissues can be subtle. The video looks incredibly good.

You will be very pleased with how well your Mac does video editing, compared to what a PC can do. The PCs that I use at work, and the windows OS, and the video editing apps on it, all appear to have been designed byretards. Simple and creative things that iMovie does easily and intuitively are a complete clusterf--- on the PC.

iMovie is perfect for me, and no other software is necessary.

I would make sure that your iMac has a lot of RAM and hopefully a SSD. I have 8 GB of RAM and a 500 gig SSD in my 2011 MacBook Pro (8,2) and it performs well. You will need to keep enough free space on your hard drive, like at least 10%, and perhaps more, like 20%.

SD card media is definitely the way to go. My Canon has two SD card slots and I have a 16GB card in each. I can shoot over an hour at the highest quality setting, and the Canon automatically makes the switch to record on the second SD card when the first one gets full. Extremely simple to transfer the video into my Mac, via the SD card slot.

I haven't burned anything to a DVD for years. Much simpler to store things on hard drives. If I want to share a video with family or friends, it can be posted to Youtube with a click or two in iMovie. If I want to watch something I've created, I'll watch it on my Mac, or stream it to a TV with Apple TV.

A few other suggestions:

Don't install any "cleaner" apps, like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac (which really should be called "TakeABigShitOnMyMac"). These are unnecessary and harmful on Macs.

Don't install any third-party "antivirus" software on your Mac. Unnecessary and can greatly impair your Mac's performance.

I mention these because they are popular with recent converts from the Dark Side. And they can screw up your Mac badly.

Jul 9, 2015 10:03 AM in response to tbirdvet

tbirdvet wrote:

I also had an older Sony Camcorder. I replaced that with a Canon HFM50. I only film in AVCHD and I use Toast to burn blu ray quality DVD's using standard DVD discs. I also use iMovie but the quality is not as good as Toast. Canon also supplies some software that can be used on your Mac but I usually just use Toast. The camera uses an SD card that I usually remove and insert in my SD slot on my Mac to download the movie. I find this easier than trying to connect directly from the camera. The new 4K cameras are expensive and not sure you can see the difference on playback unless you also have 4K TV. I find my camera very easy to use and has more than enough features for my use.

Jul 9, 2015 10:15 AM in response to tbirdvet

I am most appreciative of your reply. Interesting about Toast. I've spent considerable time with both Apple, Sony and Canon to possibly getting a remedy for my SONY HDR FX-7, and I feel where I will use up my existing media and pursue the purchase of a Canon product. For the time being I will be either getting some conversion s/w or using the pc. At this point in time I can definitely see the difference with Mac as opposed to the pc. Thankfully I have most of my projects on DVD.

Thanks again for your input with the positive info on Mac. Take Care & Have A Happy!!!

Wally

Jul 9, 2015 1:11 PM in response to arthur

I greatly appreciate all of the positive feed back in your reply to my recent dilemma with the switch to Mac. One of my favorite pastimes is videography of mostly all the many family affairs and some 30 + years of recitals. It has been quite the challenge over the years, however from your stories as well as many others that have made the switch, with that being said, I sincerely feel that my many involved struggles with the entire movie project process will be much less complicated. Hopefully by the end of the week I will be a proud owner of high end Canon product.

I also thank you for the other tips that you mentioned. If you have any other tips or advice, it would be more than welcomed.

THANKS MUCH!!! Take Care & Have A Happy!!!

Wally

I would like to get some advice on HD video, cameras,camcorders, and operating systems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.