Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS3 Crash with Nektar P6 keyboard

I have the Nektar P6 keyboard that I'm using with MS3. When I cycle through the patches too fast on the Nektar P6, MS3 crashes. Is this a computer issue or a software issue? Thanks for any help. I have a mid-2011 2.5 GHz mac mini intel core i5 with 16 GB of ram, 120 OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD running OS X 10.9.5 and MS3 3.1.1

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mid-2011 2.5 GHz; 16 GB Ram; 120 SSD

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 8:11 AM

Hey RPBC!

I had a Nektar P6 for a few months. When it worked... it was incredible. However, I bumped into a number of frustrating problems with it, particularly for live performance.

I also got the freeze when I cycled through program names too quickly. Occasionally, the "program up" and "program down" functions would stop. Also I would occasionally lose the program select function on the nine function buttons. It I powered down the machine and and brought it back up, it would usually solve the issue.

It's my belief that there is something kind of glitch in the P6 operating system. I never noticed anything wrong in MS3 and I could select programs on the MBP.

In the end, I decided to take a different approach and I'm trying a Roland A800. It's older and a bit more solid than the P6. Programming it is pretty easy and MS3 responds a bit more smoothly to the A800 than the P6.

Good luck!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2015 8:11 AM in response to RPBC

Hey RPBC!

I had a Nektar P6 for a few months. When it worked... it was incredible. However, I bumped into a number of frustrating problems with it, particularly for live performance.

I also got the freeze when I cycled through program names too quickly. Occasionally, the "program up" and "program down" functions would stop. Also I would occasionally lose the program select function on the nine function buttons. It I powered down the machine and and brought it back up, it would usually solve the issue.

It's my belief that there is something kind of glitch in the P6 operating system. I never noticed anything wrong in MS3 and I could select programs on the MBP.

In the end, I decided to take a different approach and I'm trying a Roland A800. It's older and a bit more solid than the P6. Programming it is pretty easy and MS3 responds a bit more smoothly to the A800 than the P6.

Good luck!

Jul 11, 2015 7:28 PM in response to trinitycadet

trinitycadet,

Thanks for the response. I use the Panorama P6 exclusively for live performance and having it freeze during a live performance is obviously not good. MS3 went into force quit mode when I went too fast on the patches, so your experience is valuable information to know as I consider an alternate keyboard. A question, will the Roland A800 show the patch names on its screen? I use a mac mini that is actually under our stage and having the screen show patch names on the Roland A800 is pretty much a must for me. Thanks again!

Jul 14, 2015 6:53 AM in response to RPBC

RPBC,

I was trying to do the same thing as you with a Mac Mini. My hope was that I could get the Mini to startup and autoload MainStage 3. Then the P6 could read the patch names and behave just like a hardware synth. I was using the Mac Mini in a rack and the P6 as my only controller. (I was trying to get the look of Jonah Nillsen of Dirty Loops). I wanted to be more a presence on stage and not buried behind keyboards. Nice idea, but it didn't work perfectly for several reasons.

Unfortunately, I was never able to get the program to load correctly. I would get a blank screen that I could easily close, but it required a screen, a mouse or a keyboard to do it. Then I had some problems that I couldn't figure out without connecting a monitor. So... I had a Mac Mini, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse. So I figured carrying a Macbook Pro might make more sense... which also won't crash if your power goes out. I had $750 in the Mac Mini (updated 4GB RAM + 256GB SSD), a $100 monitor, $100 in wireless keyboard and mouse. It had to travel in a rack ($75) and a rack shelf ($50) and a powerstrip ($35) and a UPS ($50). In the end, I spent over $1,000 to be "portable". I found a current model quad core i7 with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD for $1,500 on Craig's List. It runs faster and better than the Mac Mini.

As far as the display on the Roland controller. No, unfortunately you can't show patch names. The Roland is a very standard controller. The P6 and the new Akai Advance series lock up with the software a lot better. However, I gave up on the P6... just too buggy. The Akai sounds interesting, but you would have to use their software... that rules out MainStage. I picked the Roland because I have always liked their build quality. The A800 is a lightweight piece of plastic. However, I can play the keys without hurting my hand (I play a lot of organ that requires me to slide around on the keys). The P6 had sharp edges. The sliders, pads and buttons work more smoothly and feel like they have a better resolution than the P6. The drum pads on the P6 had a slight delay when playing samples... the A800 does not. I built a template in MS3 for the A800 and it has all of the functionality of the P6, even the program selection style.

I've tried most of the controllers out there at our local Guitar Center, I even tried an Arturia 88. In the end, for me, the Roland A800 just feels better. Warning, the A800 has shorter keys that a standard piano. I play piano on an 88 note controller (Roland A88). If I wanted to play piano on the A800, it would be a problem. So, now I have the A800 and the A88, a MBP, a Radial USB interface. It runs very solidly and if something goes wrong (and it always does) I can put my hands on the computer. I still carry a Nord Electro as a backup keyboard in case of catastrophic failure.

Take a look at Billy Joel's current keyboard rig on YouTube. David Rosenthal talks about carrying four MBPs, just in case! I thought about carrying the Mini as a backup, but maintaining two parallel computers would be too much work for me.

Good luck!

Matt

Jul 14, 2015 7:40 AM in response to trinitycadet

Matt,

Obviously, I can tell you have really thought this through. Thanks for some really good suggestions, information and link.

I'm using the mac mini with a router and then using VNC on my iPhone to access the mac mini if I need to restart MS3 or the mac mini. So far, I'm having to change the way I access my patches through the P6 since advancing too fast causes problems. If the A800PRO had patch names, it would be a no-brainer. The old Infinite Reponse VAX77 folding keyboard with screen is discontinued but I hear they are rebuilding this keyboard at a lower price point. That's why I was hoping the P6 would fulfill the need for those of us that use MS3 that want a screen.

Thanks again!

Greg

Jul 20, 2015 5:20 AM in response to RPBC

Hi all, this is Tim from Nektar. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention which we have been able to reproduce and are currently looking into a fix. However, it would be most helpful if issues can be reported to our support team directly and this way we are able to jump on them immediately:

http://www.nektartech.com/Support.

That said, may I suggest a more immediate way to access your patches during live performance...

Buttons 1-8 (beneath the faders) access the first 8 patches in the active set. Hold button 9 down and buttons 1-8 can be used to select sets 1-8. I find this method far more immediate than scrolling through a large number of patches in the menu box.

Mar 8, 2016 9:38 PM in response to Drumbargo

That sounds encouraging Tim, but do you know when that will be released? It sounds like you've already tested it. I just got the P6 and spent a frustrating weekend trying to get it to work as advertised. No luck, so unless there is a solution in a couple of weeks i will have to return it. Don't want to because i really like the feel and layout of the board.

MS3 Crash with Nektar P6 keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.