Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option to show sidebar in Photos on Mac is greyed out.

In the View menu, the option to show the sidebar in the Photos app is greyed out. I have closed, forced closed, restarted the Mac, you name it and still unable to get to not be greyed out. Works fine on my other Macs, just not this one. Any ideas?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 6:36 AM

37 replies

Oct 2, 2017 11:09 AM in response to SpringfromNC

SpringfromNC, the software of these forums is unfortunately showing a comprehensive view of the discussions.

As soon as a reply has been marked as "helpful", the thread will be collapsed, and you are no longer seeing the full discussion. Before replying to a post, you may want to click the button "Read all replies" to see the full discussion and to see, if your post may be redundant. This button is at the bottom of the collapsed page:

User uploaded file

Jul 14, 2017 9:10 AM in response to camdenkit

exactly as answered by the previous two posts

I made the Photos window bigger, and the sidebar reappeared, and the View/Sidebar menu item was no longer dimmed.

Thanks to patstewart2b's post on April 28, 2016.

just make the size of the windows on photos bit bigger it should pop up by itself ok i just did on mine ok

the application window was too small. Once I dragged the corner to enlarge it, all kinds of wonderful things happened, including the sidebar option.

LN

Oct 2, 2017 8:37 AM in response to SpringfromNC

SpringfromNC wrote:

Easy fix: just make your "Photos" window WIDER. It needs to have enough room to have sidebar.

again exactly as answered by the previous posts - correct but redundant

I made the Photos window bigger, and the sidebar reappeared, and the View/Sidebar menu item was no longer dimmed.

Thanks to patstewart2b's post on April 28, 2016.

just make the size of the windows on photos bit bigger it should pop up by itself ok i just did on mine ok

the application window was too small. Once I dragged the corner to enlarge it, all kinds of wonderful things happened, including the sidebar option.

LN

Jul 9, 2015 6:47 AM in response to 66sweep

Have you tried the key combination option-command-S instead?

As a bow drawn at venture I'd try to delete the cached preferences files for the Photos.app and then restart the Mac. This file can influence the graphical user interface.

I'd delete the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos/ and restart the Mac, then try again.

Your user library may still be hidden.To reveal the hidden User Library:

• Bring the Finder forward by clicking on the Desktop or the Finder icon in the Dock.
  • Select your user/home folder (with the house icon in the Finder sidebar)
  • With that Finder window as the front window, press the key combination ⌘J to bring up the View options.
  • In the View options panel enable ’Show Library Folder’. That will make your user library folder visible in your Home folder.
  • Open your Home folder, then the Library folder, then Containers.
  • Move the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos to your desktop. Move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Now restart the Mac and try again. If all is well, delete the folder from the Desktop.

Apr 21, 2016 3:39 AM in response to léonie

Hello

I'm new to asking questions of a Community but I wondered if you could help me on this same problem of a greyed out Sidebar in Photos? I'm following the instructions you gave to 66sweep but I cannot find any Library in my Home Folder. I am not very adept at exactly what a Home or Library Folder is so any basic help in getting the sidebar in Photos to appear would be very welcome. Many thanks.

Apr 21, 2016 7:17 AM in response to blossomdeary

Have you tried to unhide the Library folder as I described?

Your user library may still be hidden.To reveal the hidden User Library:

• Bring the Finder forward by clicking on the Desktop or the Finder icon in the Dock.
  • Select your user/home folder (with the house icon in the Finder sidebar)
  • With that Finder window as the front window, press the key combination ⌘J to bring up the View options.
  • In the View options panel enable ’Show Library Folder’. That will make your user library folder visible in your Home folder.
  • Open your Home folder, then the Library folder, then Containers.
  • Move the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos to your desktop. Move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Now restart the Mac and try again. If all is well, delete the folder from the Desktop.

It should look like this:

User uploaded file

Option to show sidebar in Photos on Mac is greyed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.