Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine

my 2007 Mac mini cannot be fixed or diagnosed by the two geniuses who have tried to help me.there seems to be a problem with booting and reading the hard drive in some way although the diagnostics they ran came out okay

Ultimately we took the step of formatting the C drive because the genius could not find a problem and thought this might well do the trick

everything seem to reinstall okay- he did check the back up status which was recent.

The next step was to extract data from my back up but now it seems like the Iomega drive which was connected by FireWire to my mini is not 'visible' as a volume when I boot the mini, or indeed when I plugged the drive into a MacBook from work to check that time machine does have my data safe

Now I'm pretty dismayed and depressed as you can imagine as it's all about the data !

iPhoto '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8), mac mini

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 7:55 AM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Edwinstowe

I don't fully understand your problem because your request isn't that clear. I assume you do have a valid Time Machine back-up and when you talk about your C Drive you mean what my 2004 iMac's internal drive is called, Macintosh HD, and it's stuffed.

Mine blew-up and I fixed it by buying a USB hard-drive, not that expensive. Then:

Format New Macintosh HD

1. Unplug back-up disc (ensures it doesn’t get formatted in error).
  2. Utilities (top line) > Disk Utility [using your install disc].
  3. Select top part of disc name > Erase.
    1. Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
    2. Name: Macintosh HD
  4. Erase button > Erase.
  5. Close down (top left Red button).
  6. Plug-in back-up disc.

Then I did a full restore from Time Machine.

Please note, I'm not an expert here and your situation may be different, but, it worked for me.

Hope it works for you.

Jul 9, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Edwinstowe

Hi again.

As it was late when I replied, I thought I would check it what I'd said this morning.

Reading it again, you said "everything seem to reinstall okay- he did check the back up status which was recent. The next step was to extract data from my back up". Where was the reinstall done from?

Was it Time Machine? If it was and your Time Machine disc isn't visible (mine was visible occasionally), then I suggest you do as I did, buy a new disc and do a back-up.

Now, here's the interesting thing. I wanted to retrieve some data from the 'old' disc and 'with fingers crossed' attempted it. It worked and has continued work every time I do an occasional back-up on it.

If your problem is the same, try leaving it un-plugged for a few days and then try again.

Time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.