Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Significant cellular data usage after IOS 8.4 upgrade (iPhone 5)

My wife & my phones are experiencing significantly higher cellular data usage since we upgraded to IOS 8.4 on our iPhone 5 phones. We are not power users in the least (typical cellular data usage over the past year has been in the .5 to .75 GBs per month); since the upgrade to IOS 8.4 (from 8.3) last week, our data usage hit over 5 GB in just a few days. Right now cellular data is turned off on our phones (kind of defeats the purpose of having a smart phone) until we can determine what is causing the issue. I've already discussed with AT&T, but the fidelity of their data usage reports is lacking (i.e. 3 hour time blocks and they can't provide any certainty the data usage actually occurs during those blocks of time). Has anyone else experienced this issue and did you arrive at a solution?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 8:27 AM

20 replies

Jul 9, 2015 10:30 AM in response to kam_39

Hello same problem here. Update on iOS 8.4. Significant higher data volume usage.

I thought the problem could be in Apple Music. But the celluar data is deactivated for the music app. Connect is also deactivated. I can't find the problem. The strange thing is: When I add up the celluar data usage from all apps I don't get the high total celluar data usage. My iPhone and my carrier are displaying the same total celluar data but I can't find the app which is using all this.

Does anyone know something about it?

Jul 10, 2015 10:58 AM in response to GermanCookies

Spent a bit of time with AT&T's customer service, which was pretty responsive. After crediting my account back for any additional data charges, their tech department walked me through backing up my phone and then doing a factory reset. While it's a bit of a pain to reconfigure the phone, I've experienced no noticeable cellular data usage on the phone. While a bit of a sledgehammer approach, appears to have stopped whatever program/app/operating system subroutine which was constantly causing the cellular data issue. Hope this helps.

Jul 23, 2015 4:52 AM in response to kam_39

Hi

I have the same issue using iOS 8.4 and iPhone 6.

I use the SkyBet App which I have used for a number of years to stream live sporting events and have never used over 1GB per month in past 4 years .... I have only recently upgraded to iOS 8.4 and only recently purchased an iPhone 6 but I am now hitting nearly 5GB per afternoon when streaming live sports so have stopped using the app as my 20GB monthly allowance would get chewed up in just 2 days if I let it.

So come on Apple, please sort this issue out as your customers pay top prices for your handsets, services and operating systems and you claim to be the best.

Jul 23, 2015 5:53 AM in response to AmishCake

Because it's their operating system !!!!!...

Why have you got to apply fixes when you pay £620 for a brand new iPhone ... Many other users are having the same issues ... so it is not applicable to just my handset and why should I do a full reset of an already brand new iPhone as the solution suggests.

I have carried out lots of research before replying here and this problem is prevalent with lots of other users .. I suggest you do some research before jumping on the 'Apple Fanboy' wagon.

Jul 23, 2015 6:03 AM in response to Sevan68

The device is a computer, and things can always go wrong with an update. You don't expect 100% perfection, do you? Just do what the other poster did, and can the attitude, please. We are all just fellow users on here, not "fanboys," (I'm a female, BTW) and we aren't here to listen to your rants. We're here to help with technical issues.

Jul 23, 2015 6:39 AM in response to AmishCake

Hi

I would like you to know, I work in IT and have done for past 15 years and I would like to think I have intelligence and practical troubleshooting methods.

And I am not ranting ... I took your response with irk because you implied that I did an update, iOS 8.4 was already on my new iPhone and also that I have not carried out my research and your suggestion to apply a fix (by fully restoring an already brand new iPhone only out of the box in past few days) and as I work in the IT industry, we try and find actual solutions for the problem and not try and hold it together with patches, fixes and sticky tape so to speak.

I can post other user comments from other forums here who are having this issue, so as you are saying it is relevant to my handset that does actually dispel your theory that it is isolated to my own handset.

And no, I do not expect 100% perfection but I have already had to delete numerous apps and re-install them to get them to work, completely set up all of my email accounts again as well as other constant niggles after migrating from an iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 so ... I think I am entitled to an opinion to what is normally an easy process.

I started out with the iPhone 3 and have always upgraded to the next model along the way, so I am not in any way slating Apple or ranting as I have been loyal to them and the iPhone since the beginning, I was merely stating an observation and generalising quite kindly ... my own thoughts to the community as I am actually aware this forum is not monitored by Apple Technical Support.

I apologise if I have offended you as that was not my intention, but you get so many jumped up responses automatically suggesting you have not tried things or read previous posts and assuming you mean something else when you don't and it is not my intention to get into a forum battle with you, but this issue has really annoyed me and is costing me massive amounts of data and I think I have every right to express what I am feeling when the expense is so great.

Sep 4, 2015 4:09 PM in response to Sevan68

I am having the same issue. My original iPhone 6 (running 8.3) broke last week and Apple were unable to fix it so gave me a new phone running 8.4 out of the box, which I restored from my previous phone back up via iTunes. I received a text from my phone provider this evening to say that I had used 80% of my data and I still have 10 days to go before my plan resets. I have never used my data up, nor got anywhere near so and the only thing different this month is my new phone. Obviously I can't downgrade the operating system to 8.3 and as the phone is new running 8.4 (not through an update), the only thing I can think of is the operating system. I have temporarily switched off mobile data, but this is not a solution. Any help would be appreciated, but presumably if it's an 8.4 issue there is nothing that can be done.

Sep 4, 2015 10:26 PM in response to AmishCake

The original back up can't be corrupted as it was an 8.3 backup, which was fine. Unfortunately the only back up I have now is 8.4. The issue must be the operating system, which was pre-installed on the phone, which was NEW only the other week. if other people are having them same issues since moving to 8.4, either as an update or pre-installed on the phone ( as is the case with myself and Sevan68), then surely the problem is with the iOS.

Sep 4, 2015 10:37 PM in response to The Blues

No, the problem is not with iOS, or there would be millions of people complaining about it. I have iOS on two devices; we have the same version of iOS on 40 or more devices at my work and none of these are experiencing the problem. You're not understanding that your problem could be one of the apps you're using. Did you go into your Settings > Cellular to see which ones are using the most?

Sep 4, 2015 10:56 PM in response to The Blues

If you restore as new and that solves the problem, you've really got no choice if you want a phone that doesn't eat up all your data. Just make sure it's all backed up first in case it doesn't work, so you can restore from backup anyway. If it does work, try adding your apps back one at a time and checking to see if one of them is the culprit. Pull your photos off by importing them to the computer first. There are ways to archive your text messages as well. Passwords will be a PITA but at least you will have a phone that functions properly. Best of luck.

Significant cellular data usage after IOS 8.4 upgrade (iPhone 5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.