Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Screen Damaged after 1.5 months, what to do ?

Hello All,

I bought the new mac book pro 15 retina with full option.

I was cleaning the screen the other day with the provided cleaning cloth. I was so surprised to see on the screen a very little mark... After carefully checking it i found out it is not a dead pixel but like the glass got a bit damaged (it is smaller than a pin hole) and looks likes a dead pixel.

It is almost unnoticeable once the screen is bright and looks like a very little dust. However i had 4 mac book pro over the last 6 years and never had such issue ! I take utmost care of my latptop and almost never using the screen as it is connected to my cinema display. I must have used the integrated screen less than 50 hours since i got the laptop and always at home in very clean condition. The screen on top of it never been touched with fingers.

1/ I am wondering can we get this replaced by Apple ? I asked to genius when i purchased my laptop if i shall buy a screen protector and he told me its up to me since the screen is strong...

I'd like to have it replaced and then after buy a protection for it as it seems that even dust can damage this screen... I dont want to go to apple store every month to get this fixed...

2/ On top of this do you recommend me to buy a shell for the Mac Book Pro, since i found the screen to be so weak i am wondering if it's needed as well to protect the unibody casing ?

I prefer to post a message here since it seems this is the weakest mac book pro i ever owned.

Thanks for your recommendation

Cheers

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.4, 16gb, 512 go SSD

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 7:56 AM

13 replies

Jul 11, 2015 6:20 PM in response to furfing

Long time apple fan and heavy apple anything user.... Woow. Just found this thread ! I have the same thing going on with my MacBook Pro retina 15" ! At the bottom appears exactly as all the pics.

I have to think Apple will do the right thing here.... It's obviously an issue...all be it a small percentage, nevertheles, customers should be taken care of.. I'm sur wit will be a minor cost overal.

FIngers crossed. I will be following closely.

Thanks

kevin

Jul 24, 2015 9:05 PM in response to furfing

My MBR retina also started showing stain glass marks on top edge of screen, around the camera. This is about two year old, and I have used it very carefully.

I think Apple's assertion of putting pressure on display, or assumption that some oily fingers etc. caused it do not make sense. The MBP retina machines seem to have this fault across the board. Some show it early, and others will do the same soon.

Apple should stand behind its products to maintain its reputation. Or it would risk losing customer base.

I am a fan of Apple and would like to continue as one!

Aug 4, 2015 1:30 AM in response to NM63

Exact same thing for me. MBP full option bought in July 2014, used only in clean environment and moved between places in hard + padded casing, screen only wiped with screen cloth and no products. Problem started around the camera 3 months ago and now all around the screen with patch appearing in the middle now. Should I stop undusting the screen?? Will try Apple Care see if I paid this for nothing or not.

Aug 8, 2015 7:55 AM in response to MatthieuLC

After twenty years of using Macs I am so disappointed in this issue and the lack of resolve by Apple to acknowledge and address the issue which is obviously some manufacturing fault.

I purchased my 15" MBP in Nov 2014 in New Zealand and it appeared soon after...

It is difficult to get fiexed at all as I am now based in Uganda with no Apple...... arrgghhhhhh

Oct 17, 2015 11:50 PM in response to NM63

Apple has issued an internal notice about a new Quality Program that addresses anti-reflective coating issues on MacBook and MacBook Pro models with Retina displays. These issues include the anti-reflective coating on displays wearing off or delaminating under certain circumstances. Apple will replace affected Retina displays at no cost for MacBook or MacBook Pro models with Retina displays within three years from the date of original purchase, or one year from October 16, 2015, whichever is longer. Affected customers that have already incurred out-of-warranty costs may be eligible for a refund through AppleCare support.

Oct 19, 2015 1:17 PM in response to DavidMac

Hi ALL, I did buy my MB Pro Retina middle 2012, issue with defective AR coating on screen did start early 2014, vent to Apple Care, just easy answer from lousy support (worst ever), badly use by customer, so bad so bad. Got mad...Issue started to get bad, screen mostly not for any use. Early April 2015, same poor answer (issue added to staingate.org at April 2015)...got more than crazy. I did replace the screen by my own money (€1000). After I read latest news, contacting Apple Store (Sweden), same poor bad reply, badly use and so on...

All facts in my hand, never ever seen so bad customer service as this greedy company is providing. No More Apple (except fruit).

By all

Retina Screen Damaged after 1.5 months, what to do ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.