Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro logic board needs replaced

Hello Everyone,

My early 2008 Mac Pro needs a new logic board according to the apple authorized repair center. This will cost around $700 they say: $3-400 for the board and the rest for the repair. Do you think this is worth repairing? They said there may be other issues that will become evident after replacing the logic board. I'm wondering if I can have the logic board repaired instead of replaced? I found a place online but it would have to be shipped to Texas and it may be just as expensive as replacing it since another site quoted around $700 for a repair. Can I get it done less expensively elsewhere? Should I just buy a new machine and turn it in? Will I get a credit towards a new Mac Pro?

The repair center said they had another mac machine(I'm not sure if it's a mac pro but I assume so) which they could put my hard drive in to for an exchange. I doubt it's as good a machine as mine though. Original cost was $4000 and I got it for $3000 refurbished. It hasn't had any real problems until now and it is lightly used compared to how some use their computers. According to the repair center this makes no difference but I wonder it that's true? At the time it was one of the best.

I'm not sure how Mac Pros have changed. I wouldn't mind a faster, smaller machine if I can get a credit for this one, if it's just as good or better. But will I be able to transfer all my data easily? That is another concern.

I'm not sure what to do here- what do you think?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), null

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 10:33 AM

24 replies

Jul 28, 2015 10:29 PM in response to kahjot

Thanks Kahjot :-) This is great news! I just wish I hadn't had to go through all of this stress. I called Apple's corporate office today- they're going to investigate. I also called my credit card company and opened a dispute on the charge, he said he thinks I have a good chance of getting my money back too.

I want to thank everyone who helped me here, I learned a lot and I will try to read more here and become a bit more adept and computer savy from the tech point of view if I'm able. This is a great forum.

Jul 10, 2015 3:42 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you. I want something at least as good as what I have but I'm weary of buying something off of ebay or craigslist. I spoke with someone at Apple and he said a mini mac is now as good as my mac pro! Is that true? I may just do that eventually but there is no dvd access so I would have to buy the other device too. I have a lovely large lacie monitor so I don't need a monitor. He also said mine if repaired and working is still worth about $1200-1400 so I wonder if I can sell it and either put that towards a mini mac or another mac pro? I would have to spend the $700 on repair though.

The Texas company said they will repair the logic board for around $475 with a prepaid shipping label. I'm still not sure what to do. I worry about spending $700 to fix it and then finding out something else is wrong which will cost more, however I'm not ready to let this lovely machine go yet.

What do you think? I'm not capable of moving the hard drives around etc. I have no idea and would most likely botch the whole thing.

There is no trade in with apple but he suggested if this repair center or another retailer would let me trade in I could do that. I know they will repair and sell my machine though wherever I go and make a profit. I just wonder if I will be happy with a mini mac, the small size would be great though, but will I be able to do all my photo editing etc. with that? If a transfer of data is done and it's not a simple back up someone else will have to do it.

Jul 10, 2015 7:14 AM in response to macellie

There are excellent ebay sellers and wonderly deals. And lots of thread posts (MacRumors).

The Mini is never going to have more than basics and has been dumbed down now even further.

Of course you can move drives around.

You are not getting good advice and won't from those sources.

Go check out the ample threads on the 4,1 2009 and later. Some even have links to ebay sellers.

The only new warranted system would be Apple Special 6,1 $2500, and there you can upgrade the processor later yourself; you can add memory; you would have to factor in the need for Thunderbolt storage expansion - and that the GPUs are AMD and not upgradeable and not ideal for Adobe apps.

No I doubt even if you could find a Mini with i7 4-core 16-32GB RAM would do.

Jul 10, 2015 8:07 AM in response to macellie

A four-core i7 Mini is about as fast as your Mac Pro CPU wise. However,

- they do not have that good of graphics and may apps can use theGPU

- They are limited to 16 GB

- The can only accommodate two drives but you can purchase external storage. Unless you uses SSD, the internal drives are 5400 RPM and thus slow

- The latest Minis (late 2014) are all duel-care

Jul 10, 2015 8:46 AM in response to macellie

macellie wrote:

Thank you. I want something at least as good as what I have but I'm weary of buying something off of ebay or craigslist. I spoke with someone at Apple and he said a mini mac is now as good as my mac pro! Is that true? I may just do that eventually but there is no dvd access so I would have to buy the other device too. I have a lovely large lacie monitor so I don't need a monitor. He also said mine if repaired and working is still worth about $1200-1400 so I wonder if I can sell it and either put that towards a mini mac or another mac pro? I would have to spend the $700 on repair though.

What do you think? I'm not capable of moving the hard drives around etc. I have no idea and would most likely botch the whole thing.

The current Mini is a pathetic replacement for a Mac Pro, and a decently-configured one is expensive.

You can get a used 2009 or 2010 Mac Pro from OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/search/Used+Mac+Pro. Notice that there are 2009 models going for the quoted cost of your logic board repair. Better configurations can be had for not much more than that. It will have a 90-day warranty.

I don't think anyone would pay $1200 to $1400 for a used 2008 model.

If you have opposable thumbs and a screwdriver, you can swap the drives from your old machine into your new machine. It is really, really simple.

Jul 11, 2015 2:20 AM in response to kahjot

I have no idea what the hard drives are so it's unlikely I will be taking them out and putting them into another machine- I'm not into any of that. I bought a used i4s on ebay and it has issues so no more ebay purchases of that sort for me. OWC- I have two external hard drives from them and one failed which I barely used, it was probably never working properly in the first place but I was ill at the time and I didn't have the energy to deal with it.

I'm not going to pay for a used mac pro from owc if I can just have this one repaired and maybe have it run for a few more years. Besides which a 90 day warranty is not enough time to see if something major will happen with computers.. if I had brought the 2008 in when it slowed down a bit it would have been repaired for free on the apple care prolly.

I do feel dubious that a mini mac can be like a mac pro, even an old one however he seemed convinced of this and said the technology has changed so much even in the past year.. he has one and uses it with his tv, but he also has a mac pro reconfigured or something, I couldn't tell exactly what he meant.

I found a mini mac refurb 3ghz duel core intel i7, to be honest these terms mean little to me since I orginally purchased my 2008. I bought a macbook pro in 2012 that they told me was almost as good as the 2008 around the time I stopped using it so much when it slowed down and I was getting sick. It's great for my editing so maybe I don't need something quite as super duper as the 2008 after all, so I wonder if this mini mac would do?

I will probably just repair mine and hope it isn't wasted money.

Jul 12, 2015 3:20 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks, I will try again... here is the info on my early 2008 btw: model # A8116 Mac Pro 3.0 8CX/2X 1G/320/2800T/S. I'm not sure how this would compare to the mini I mentioned or to another mac pro maybe a 2009 as you have mentioned... I will ask the repair center which machine they want to put my hard drive into but I'm not sure how to tell if it's as good as mine since this is all non sensical to me at this point, I can't remember what it means. Does dual core mean it will be faster?

mac pro logic board needs replaced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.