Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Server, Clients, SMB and Error code -36

A search of these forums find many old posts about Error code -36 and file sharing. I'm writing this post to help anyone else who is currently going through troubles with this, as the problem has not gone away in current versions of the Server and client software (as of this writing, 9 July, 2015). Here's the situation in which I can reproduce the the problem.

### Clients:

a mix of Mavericks and Yosemite, a mix of WiFi and Ethernet connections, a mix of notebooks and desktops, some very new, others older (none older than 4 years).

### Server:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, Server 4.1 ; Mac Pro (2008); shared drive is an internal, mirrored 1TB RAID, or a Drobo S with ~9TB of storage, connected over eSata (Sonnet Tech PCIx card) — Server is providing local DNS, Open Directory, and File Sharing services only. No more than 10 people connect at any given time.

## Scenario:

My understanding is the default connection protocol for file serving on recent editions of Server.app is SMB, if your client is Mavericks or newer. When everything is left as default, when a client connects to the fileserver, they cannot save a file to the shared resource without getting this error message:

> The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "FILENAME.fext" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)

User uploaded file

• If you're moving a single file from, say, your desktop into the server's shared resource, you'll receive the error message, but your file will be saved properly.
  • If you dragged a folder, you'll receive the error message, and the folder will be written, but it will be empty on the server's end.
  • If you dragged several file simultaneously, you'll receive the error message, but only 1 file will be written to the server's end.

## Workaround

If you're in an environment where you can use AFP exclusively, and you disable SMB from all your server's shares, the problems will go away. That works here, as an all-Mac shop, but I imagine we're the exception. Also, if SMB is the new default and this doesn't work in an all-Mac shop… that's a little scary.

Please leave a comment if you're seeing a similar issue. I'd love to know if there's some other variable that's causing this to pop up for our network, but not others (judging by the lack of reports in these forums).

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 11:52 AM

4 replies

Aug 14, 2015 4:01 AM in response to briandigital

I fixed this issue by removing all permissions to the folder and files and then reapplying them in terminal.

Terminal is the only way to fully strip permissions.

http://www.chriswrites.com/how-to-change-file-permissions-using-the-terminal/

It's not happened since doing this last year for me so i can't remember the exact method i used in terminal but here's a link to remove group permissions.

Aug 17, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Esquared

Thanks for the tip, but when i use CIFS instead of SMB I can't connect to the server with my old 10.6.8 iMac.

I'm working in a mix enviroment, mostly OSX 10.10 but 2 Windows 7 desktops and 1 old 10.6.8 installation.

The problems only apairs with the more unexperienced users who don't know the 'command-K' keyboard shortcut.

Because i automount the servers via AFP on login, but when someons loses connection some people here just click on the Findersidebar / Shared and click to connect. But then Finder 'autoselects' SMB, if connecting via the Findersidebar always uses AFP the wouldn't exist for me.

After the fresh installation of the server i had the problem from the first minute. After that we started all over again with a new installation al the permissions deleted with Batchmod. Still the same problem.

(sorry for my English)

Yosemite Server, Clients, SMB and Error code -36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.