Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade 9.5.1 iPhoto on OSX 10.9.5?

MacForum advises me to first upgrade my current iPhoto 9.5.1 (using OSX 10.9.5) BEFORE upgrading to Yosemite to avoid "photo" compatibility problems with Yosemite. I have a MacBook Air (Oct., 2012) with 8mb RAM and plenty of storage left on a 512 mb HD. Everything is backed up on Time Capsule AND an external hard drive. They further advise downloading the iPhoto upgrade from the Apple Support website (rather than the Apple Store) for a faster, less problematic iPhoto upgrade. How do I do this? Secondly, is there a best time of the day to download Yosemite for a faster download? I have been advised to download Yosemite in the wee hours of the morning for less "traffic". I am still very gun-shy about downloading Yosemite after reading horror stories that STILL remain after almost a year of "fixes". I REALLY need candid advice!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), HP LaserJet Pro P1102w AirPrint pri

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 3:38 PM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2015 5:24 PM in response to ron4735

First you cannot upgrade your iPhoto any higher until you have Yosemite installed. At that time if you have iPhoto showing up in your app store purchases then you can update to 9.6.1 after deleting your 9.5.1 iPhoto. I have downloaded Yosemite several times at different times of the day and it made no difference in download times. That being said I run both Mavericks and Yosemite and still prefer Mavericks. However you can give Yosemite a try. Just have a backup so you can revert if you find issues or just do not like Yosemite interface.

Jul 10, 2015 10:19 AM in response to ron4735

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive (step 1), then the Partition tab (step 2), and select the partition. Using the /// at the bottom move it up (step 3) until the size box decrease by about 50 GB. Select the newly created space and hit the + button (step 4). Name it something and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format (step 5). Then hit the Apply button(step 6). Download the installer from the App Store and when it starts, point it at the new partition. You might want to make a copy of the installer outside the Applications folder to avoid having to re-download it in the future. Once installed, go to System Preferences/Startup Disk, select the new partition and reboot. Test away.

Jul 30, 2015 2:08 AM in response to Eric Root

IT is extemely disconcerting when a program you use almost daily just disappears.

THr program is from 2013 and updated by Software update. I know there were

lots of problema with iPhoto but this has nothing to do with iPhoto but just somebody

decided that it could be removed from MY system.

And no there is no download burton for IPhoto, in fact there is no IPhoto at all in

the app store as far as I can see.

I really can't believe that Apple puts me in this situation. After I somehow recover my

photos, I must have a deep think about that...

How to upgrade 9.5.1 iPhoto on OSX 10.9.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.