Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Much available disk space do I really have?

How much available space do I really have? When I do a get info on my startup disk, it says that I have 116.02 GB out of 249.2GB. When I use disk utility it says that I have 86.66GB out of the same 249.2GB. If I select the whole drive icon, not the partition icon, it says the following: This is the startup drive, you can't erase it. Disk size 249.2GB. Available space 76.21GB. Please explain why there are three different answers as to how much available disk space I have and which one is correct. Thank you

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), MBP 15" mid 2012, 10.10.4 Mac mini 10.

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 4:32 PM

You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2015 4:32 PM in response to Bob OHalloran

You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

How Much available disk space do I really have?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.