Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad touch screen problems after iOS 8.4

SInce installling iOS 8.4 on iPad Air the touch screen has become very erratic. Symptoms include double letters whn typing and scrolling gestures not working. ive had no previous Issues in several months of use.

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 6:24 PM

19 replies

Jul 12, 2015 1:52 PM in response to DTranmer

I have the same problem but was *not* plugged in. Did 4 hard shut downs, no help. The screens continued to swipe up/down, left/right. I talked to Apple tech support. They emailed me a direction to type into Safari. I thought it helped but it didn't. When I could finally get to my Settings & the screen would hold still long enough I shut off my Multi-tasking & shut off my iCloud. For now the iPad Air *seems* to be working so I can't really say which steps helped.

Jul 18, 2015 5:32 PM in response to DTranmer

I've the same or similar problem.

Since iOS 8.4, scrolling can often be unresponsive in at least Safari, embedded Safari, and Apple Remote.

I can repeatedly swipe up and down, impatiently, for many seconds, and it won't scroll until I stop doing it.

During, I can change finger, change pressure, change the part of the screen I'm swiping on, and none of that works around this bug.

It's really frustrating!

(not seen the double letters issue though)

ipad retina (v3), iOS 8.4

Jul 19, 2015 12:29 AM in response to DTranmer

I've been having same type of problems after updating from iOS 8.3 to 8.4.

While holding down the finger there's random multifinger actions as changing application and sweeps. This prevents using the pad to write, play games or browse internet. If you're lucky you can open Netflix and start watching serie but thats almost all you can do.

Seems like the problems only occur while charging the battery. While not charging the pad is working like a charm.

Using: iPad Air 32gb cellular+Wi-Fi

Jul 19, 2015 8:02 AM in response to gwenfromkennewick

I finally had to send mine to the Apple techs. They did a thorough diagnostics & could find *no* problems. The iPad should be returned to me within a couple of days so I will see what happens inside the house. For a while I was wondering if there might be a Charter Cable interference w/the wi-fi even though it wasn't affecting my MacBook Pro nor my 6 Plus. A very strange ghost.

Jul 22, 2015 12:30 PM in response to DTranmer

Same issue here. Ipad 4th Gen. and since 8.4 I have been having problems using apps like Netflix - the screen seems to lag/not respond. Other game apps have also seemed to fail such as WWR since the update there seems to be control issues. Sometimes I can't even close an app with upswipe, or it takes several presses now to do something, including many typos because of touch not registering.

I went to apple store today, and the 'genius' tech could not find anything wrong per se, even though I showed him some of the errors. No help there.

Jul 26, 2015 8:57 PM in response to DTranmer

I am iPhone 6 plus. Was completely fine. Upgraded to 8.4 and the screen would have a grey box that starts shaking at the top of the screen and touch screen would go unresponsive. Then apps would open and close in rapid fire sequence and typing random letters. Genius Bar replaced the screen. Worked for a day then same problem. Replaced the whole phone, worked for a few days and same problem. This is insane. I can't downgrade to 8.3 because I guess Apple isn't signing that firmware anymore? What am I suppose to do wait til 8.4.1 or iOS9? Only thing that helps is doing a hard reset on the phone but that only lasts so long.

<Edited by Host>

Jul 31, 2015 11:49 AM in response to DTranmer

Similar issue here. Ever since I accidently updated to 8.4 (I was tapping to fast), my screen seems to have a mind of it's own. It's like there is a ghost using my iPad at the same time I am. For example, when I go to the settings screen, without touching anything, the iPad will randomly select wallpaper, then Wifi, then sounds, then privacy, etc. If I try to go to General, it might select Sounds instead.

The problem is, of course, random. It seems to happen after I've been using the Ipad for a few minutes. It happens on every app. This stinks.

I'm a new apple owner, do I just wait for Apple to come out with a new update to resolve the problem?

iPad touch screen problems after iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.