Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 w iOS 8.4 constantly asks for gmail Exchange password and runs hot

Here's the issue: my school Gmail is set up on my iPhone as an exchange account using the account m.google.com. It has been this way for years with no issues. I sync my contacts, calendar, email via this method. However, over the past two or three weeks I've had a serious issue. My iPhone continually asks for the correct Gmail password, even though I am absolutely certain I have the correct password in there. I can go in and corrected or enter the correct password at that moment, but it just comes back a few moments later asking for the correct password. Oddly enough, the Gmail account actually works all the time, even while it is asking for my password. It uses the processor extremely heavily and burns my iPhone battery down within a matter of 2 to 3 hours. I am using iOS 8.4 on an iPhone 6. Again, I have had to set up for several years over several phones and many iOS versions, with no issues. But now my iPhone battery burns down within a matter of hours, and the back of the phone is literally hot to the touch because the processor is working so hard to try to verify the account.

Here are the steps I have taken to solve the problem:

1. I have deleted and re-set up the school Gmail account as an exchange server several times. Each time the problem comes back.

2. I have looked into the captcha issue that I saw online with some Gmail accounts. That does not seem to be the issue here.

3. I changed my Gmail password just in case a fresh password would help. It did not.

4. I've searched extensively online for this issue, and I did come across a new issue with iOS 8.4. It seems that push has stopped working on iPhones with Google apps accounts. I can't seem to find this exact issue, but I am certain if I am having it, then many others are too.

One step I have not taken is to set up my school email as a regular Google account. This would not have the push function enabled because Google Gmail does not support push except for Google apps on iPhones.

Just as I have dictated this email, my iPhone battery has gone down 12%.

Could you check with Google and see if they have any ideas as to what is going on? It might be an Apple issue, but I think it is more likely that it is a Gmail issue.

This is a killer issue! My phone is almost unusable because of it.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 8:39 PM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2015 5:58 AM in response to sadlkfjadkldsfd

sadlkfjadkldsfd wrote:

Could you check with Google and see if they have any ideas as to what is going on? It might be an Apple issue, but I think it is more likely that it is a Gmail issue.

This is a user-to-user forum. No one here has any more ability to check with Google than you do. If you think it's a Google issue, you may want to start with the Gmail help pages.

Best of luck.

Jul 13, 2015 11:28 AM in response to sadlkfjadkldsfd

Well, your IT department seems to think it's a Google issue. As lots of people use Gmail exchange on their phones and don't have this problem, it's unlikely that some update is just going to come along and fix things. If you're IT department won't give you more assistance, the only person who's going to be working on solving this is you.

Try checkng to make sure that you aren't syncing any folders that have email with very large attachments.

Delete the account, reboot the phone, then add the account back. If there is a settings glitch and you add the account back without rebooting, you may not clear that.

Aug 6, 2015 9:14 AM in response to sadlkfjadkldsfd

I have absolutely the exact same issue. Except mine is not asking me for a password. The app works fine. I have several different e-mails set up on my iphone 6+ and the only ones that are not working are my gmail accounts. (I have 2 of them). It is a huge bother to log into and out of the app to check multiple accounts.

Apple updated something on the ios right after 8 came out. Whatever you did, it is messing up the exchange from interfacing with gmail. Please at least acknowledge that you are aware that this is an issue and let us know what you are doing about it.

Usually when there is a glitch or issue it is fixed within a few days. I believe that this is the reason why lots of people have not posted here, they are annoyed and inconvenienced but they feel that the issue will be resolved quickly.

I have waited patiently... school is back in session and I need this fixed ASAP!!!!

Aug 14, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Yaya99

No, YaYa, you are NOT alone! I have had the same problems, exactly, since I upgraded on Tuesday from my trusty iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.1.6 to an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4.1. I restored a backup of my old phone onto the new metal and the email problems began immediately. I was overwhelmed with the error messages from Mail about the GMail accounts not having the correct password, or having a mismatch between the name of the account and the name of the account (yeah, I know!), so I finally wiped the new iPhone clean and started all over, manually - WHAT A PAIN! - all because of Exchange type GMail email account issues.

So, what I've discovered is that there are a couple of things happening here. One is that Apple suspended support for Exchange style (GMail, only?) accounts on NEW devices as of several years ago (about January of 2012 - have forgotten the exact details now, but it is well documented in both Apple and Google P2P forums!). I ran into this one when my GF's original iPhone 3GS failed and I tried to get her Exchange/GMail account running on her new iPhone unit (after the suspension of support). I finally gave up and created a none-Exchange/GMail version account on her iPhone. It is lacking the Push feature that we all have loved for so long, but it does work and gets no error messages. Perhaps the ongoing spats between Google and Apple were the reason Push was eliminated for GMail accounts. Push is still available for Y! email accounts (well, some, at least; cannot figure out why some and not others) Sad day! 😟

Ok, now I have a new iPhone, too, and the same old grief with trying to get GMail accounts to work cleanly with the Apple Mail client. After I wiped the old restore from my new iPhone and started all over, I manually added all 16 GMail accounts and have deleted and recreated all 16 (plus 27 Y! email accounts) again, to try to eliminate the frustration. Now I have it working, mostly, except for the Exchange/GMail accounts. If I add the accounts as "Exchange" type, they never work. It only shows an empty Inbox (all the other folders are missing) and the error says it cannot connect to the server. If I add the same accounts as just "GMail" type, they work ok, but there is no "Push" update and synching seem to be universally SLOW (compared to Y! accounts).

Ok the other thing is that I have all the same email accounts created on my iPad Mini running iOS 8.4 (until I started the iOS 9Beta last weekend) and I've NEVER had any such problems with my Exchange/GMail accounts on the iPad. I don't know why there would be such a difference between iPhone 6 and iPad Mini running the same iOS release - hmmmmm. 😕 I'm not loving 8.4.1 on an iPhone 6!

I hope these experiences help you in some way, YaYa. Best of luck to you! I feel your pain.

Sep 17, 2015 6:44 AM in response to n54iP

TThis was very helpful, thanks. Oddly, the webpage would not let me mark it as helpful even though I'm logged in. Perhaps you're on to something and they aren't pleased you called them out on it.

Can you expkain how to change from "Excgange" to "GMail"? I've been trying to fix this issur for over a month and have tried to implement people's suggestions using Apple's cryptic settings FAQ, but to no avail.

iPhone 6 w iOS 8.4 constantly asks for gmail Exchange password and runs hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.