Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse freezes after connecting to Samsung monitor

When I connect my iMac to my Samsung TV via Thunderbolt to HDMI, the mouse and keyboard freeze intermittently, usually after disconnecting from the monitor.

When I say disconnecting, I mean switching the TV off of the HDMI port the mac is connected to. Then I reboot and everything's great again. Seems like the mouse is more affected than the keyboard, but both seem to freeze then go, then freeze, then go. Five seconds or so.

It looks like there are others with similar problems but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Thanks, all.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Samsung Television HDMI Monitor

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 9:52 PM

3 replies

Oct 3, 2015 5:01 AM in response to John Saffery

I too have had an issue that sounds like it is related.

iMac that is connected via DVI to an HDMI input on a Yamaha AV receiver, then on to a TV.

If the TV and receive are off, or more accurately in standby mode, the iMac has the same intermittent freezing of mouse function that you have experienced. I believe that this also affects the keyboard as I am unable to have my password accepted unless I type it in very slowly - 2 minutes for ten characters.

This looks like an issue with the way the mac OS sees the status of peripheral output devices on the DVI link. Connected devices on standby are probably seen as active by the OS that then does not receive the expected handshake arrangement to move on, and this bogs down the system with a loop on a low level. Just an idea. However, with the connection to domestic AV equipment being the norm rather than the exception, this issue should be address by the apple developers.

Mouse freezes after connecting to Samsung monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.