Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Folders & albums missing

Hello,

I have a big photo library on iCould (107Gb / 34.148 pictures) classified within folders (years) and albums (shootings).

I have just realized that almost all my folders are missing from the application. In fact, I can only see there years (see attached picture) and all the pictures .

On the other hand, if I have a look at the contents of the .photoslibrary package, all the contents seem to be correct as you can see in the attached picture.

Can anyone tell me what has happened and how to recover those folders and albums?

Thanks.

Hugo

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 11:35 PM

7 replies

Jul 10, 2015 3:35 AM in response to Hugo Monivar

Folders and albums should only vanish, when you delete them. But some users here have reported a bug, that their albums were suddenly deleted after they enabled iCloud Photo Library on an iPad. Syncing the libraries removed the albums Did you recently enable iCloud Photo Library on an iPhone or iPad?

If that should be the case, there is no known fix other than restoring the library from a backup to recreate the albums. It might be quicker to recreate them manually, because uploading the library again to iCloud will probably take much longer.

Jul 9, 2015 11:49 PM in response to Hugo Monivar

Did you migrate an Aperture Library or iPhoto Library to Photos? Photos does not support iPhoto Events or Aperture projects.

When you migrate a library, all your iPhoto events or Aperture Projects will be represented by albums, and these albums are collected in a folder "iPhoto events". Is this folder missing? See: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

If albums are missing, check, if these albums have been smart albums. Photos does not support all contraints, so some smart albums may be missing too.

Jul 10, 2015 4:02 AM in response to Hugo Monivar

There is no separate backup of iCloud Photo Library. Apple's device backups don't include items that are already in iCloud (see: iCloud: Backup and restore overview).

You need to backup your Photos Library separately. The easiest way would be to include it in your regular Time Machine backup. See this Help page for Photos: Back up your Photos library

Photo Folders & albums missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.