Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable charging on MACBOOK pro with charging cable still connected?

I am basically looking at the way to *stop* the battery to charge even with the power source connected to my MACBOOK Pro. Basically this is what I want to do

1. Connect the MACBOOK to power supply

2. Allow it to charge to 100%

3. Without removing the charging cable I want the battery charging to be stopped

Is this possible to achieve ?

OR

Is it that MAC automatically disconnects battery charging when it reaches 100% ?? 🙂

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 11:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 3:17 AM

This is how the OSX controls the battery charging when the MBP is connected to the charger.

The battery will reach the 100% level and then the charging of the battery will stop but power will be supplied to the MBP.

The battery will slowly discharge as if it were stored on a shelf.

When the battery charge level drops to about 95%, the battery will start to be charged again until it reaches the 100% level.

As long as the charger is connected, this cycle will continue.

The only control you have is the ability to connect or disconnect the charger to the MBP.

If you choose to keep the charger connected all the time, at least monthly run on battery alone to about the 40% charge level. This will help to maximize the battery life. Avoid deep discharges, they shorten battery life.

Ciao.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2015 3:17 AM in response to Shreyas Ravindra

This is how the OSX controls the battery charging when the MBP is connected to the charger.

The battery will reach the 100% level and then the charging of the battery will stop but power will be supplied to the MBP.

The battery will slowly discharge as if it were stored on a shelf.

When the battery charge level drops to about 95%, the battery will start to be charged again until it reaches the 100% level.

As long as the charger is connected, this cycle will continue.

The only control you have is the ability to connect or disconnect the charger to the MBP.

If you choose to keep the charger connected all the time, at least monthly run on battery alone to about the 40% charge level. This will help to maximize the battery life. Avoid deep discharges, they shorten battery life.

Ciao.

How to disable charging on MACBOOK pro with charging cable still connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.