Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Card reader for the USB-C port?

What smart card readers are available for the USB-C port on the new MacBook? I don't think regular USB devices will connect anymore without a conversion cable. I'm on active duty and will need to use this and do not want to have to connect a reader thorugh a conversion cable. Thank you.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 1:52 AM

5 replies

Sep 10, 2015 3:45 AM in response to Phil0124

At this point the adapter may not work. I have the CAC Reader that Apple sells )small white folding one) which has worked great on my last 3 macbooks (recent Macbook Air 11). Just bought the new Macbook, with the adapter. The Macbook recognizes the reader, but will not recognize the CAC when inserted. Tried 3 different readers with the same affect.

Working with my own IT support to try and figure it out and checking through Apple.

Sep 10, 2015 5:04 PM in response to axl1972

OK, so I did (finally) get it to work. I had to change the CAC Enabler I downloaded. In the past, I had always used PKCard from Thursby. Once I changed the enabler, my CAC reader works fine.

As of September 2015, I cannot find any USB-C readers, so an adapter will be required. I have confirmed that Centrify Express has an enabler that works with Mac and the USB-USBC adapter. Free registration and free download (http://www.centrify.com/express/smart-card-form/)

Smart Card reader for the USB-C port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.