Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old Powerbook no longer connects to wifi; can't browse web

I've got a Mac Powerbook, circa 2002, running OS 10.6.8, that still works fine in terms of opening and operating the software loaded onto it. The only trouble I'm having with this old Apple laptop is that when I am on the go with it and try to connect with any server to browse the web via wifi, I cannot get the computer to connect with the wifi. I can get online using an ethernet wire connection. But no matter who's wifi router, I can't seem to connect anywhere via my Airport wifi internal circuitry.

Is my inability to get online a function of internet protocols that my OS 10.6.8 no longer supports? Or is this an "antiquated hardware" issue? Finally, is there a repair or item I can purchase to restore the connectivity of my laptop? This laptop has served me wonderfully over the years, and I would very much like to keep it running as my travel Mac.

Thanks for any advice you might provide on this matter!

Frank G.

Brooklyn, NY

Powerbook G4 (2002), Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 9:01 AM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2015 9:28 AM in response to Frank Gresham

Another note I forgot to mention: I am successfully able to connect with the wifi in my own home via the Airport wireless connectivity of this laptop. It is only when I am trying to connect to the web via wifi anywhere else, whether it be at a local Starbucks, or on a bus, or in another home. No matter how carefully I type in the wireless passwords of these remote locations, I cannot get online.

I don't know where to start in trying to solve this problem. Any advice would be appreciated!

old Powerbook no longer connects to wifi; can't browse web

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.