Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Late 2013 Power Button Won't Start

Have it with OS X 10.10.3 - sometimes I plug it in and hit the power button and the power lights go on the unit, but it won't turn on. And then it turns on about 3 minutes later. Tried unplugging everything and resetting.

At the moment it is working now, but just want to see if anyone else has had this happen and what to do.

Overall MacPro has been running very smoothly.

Thanks!
Ed

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mac Pro Late 2013

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 10:13 AM

Same problems here.

I tried everything to get the Mac to power up but without any use. I unplugged the trash can, pressed button, PRAM - all. Even tried a different power connection on a different power circuit. I ended up taking the can to the shop where it didn´t power up either and the staff there told me to come back tomorrow and turn it in for a bigger inspection and maybe end up replacing the logic board. I went home, tried it again and voila - it powers up.

The interesting (well, annoying) thing is now that it powers up when I press the power button but after a time of about 10-15mins it just switches off without any warning.

I was looking for this phenomenon on google but wasn´t lucky. I guess sending the can to Apple might be the only thing left to do here.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2017 10:13 AM in response to eddavid456

Same problems here.

I tried everything to get the Mac to power up but without any use. I unplugged the trash can, pressed button, PRAM - all. Even tried a different power connection on a different power circuit. I ended up taking the can to the shop where it didn´t power up either and the staff there told me to come back tomorrow and turn it in for a bigger inspection and maybe end up replacing the logic board. I went home, tried it again and voila - it powers up.

The interesting (well, annoying) thing is now that it powers up when I press the power button but after a time of about 10-15mins it just switches off without any warning.

I was looking for this phenomenon on google but wasn´t lucky. I guess sending the can to Apple might be the only thing left to do here.

Jul 11, 2015 7:34 AM in response to lllaass

The reason for my question was this:

sometimes I plug it in and hit the power button and

A Mac Pro cylinder should generally be connected to "live" outlet all the time. If not, it will drain its PRAM Backup battery maintaining System Settings, and in a year or so it may not start when pushing the power button -- exactly the symptom reported.

Oct 5, 2015 4:14 PM in response to eddavid456

I have the solution. I had exactly the same issue. Sometimes it would work and other times not. When you push the power button the ports would illuminate but not the power button and it wouldn't power up at all. Took it in twice to Mac authorized service people and the darn thing always worked immediately for them. Figured I needed a new logic board. Then Four days ago I moved to the Virgin Islands and the unit went as dead as a doornail showing no signs of starting whatsoever. I took it to a shop today and the thing fired up straight away again. Came back to my pace and it was dead again as its been since I got here four days ago. Then I had an idea. I put it in front of the airconditioner to cool it the temp here is still 85 but like 90 with humidity because everywhere I took it and it worked had been air conditioned, and it fired up immediately. Over and over again. You just cannot start it if it's in an 85 + degree room. Try it. I'm a happy panda again but what stupid fail safe to have and for no one at Apple to seem to let people know about it. Hope it works for you too.

Oct 6, 2015 7:00 AM in response to keefywibble

Heres a link to a video of what's happening. its exactly the snitch describe at the beginning of this thread. But mine won't go away. As you can see from the vid it doesn't even begin to power up. Nothing no power button light no chimes nada. So I doubt that it's logging any of the unsuccessful attempts to start because nothing is running at all when this happens. Any help would be appreciated. Right now I'm thinking I need to replace the logic board and maybe the power supply unit to make sure it's solved but that seems drastic as well as expensive. Here's the l to the vid https://vimeo.com/141343505

Oct 9, 2015 5:36 AM in response to lllaass

HI. Not sure if you watched my video link on the latter post but do you think the PRAM battery could be the cause? I did check the console when it last booted yesterday but there was nothing in the console showing a previous attempted power up. It's not even starting to boot so theres nothing working which can write to the console. Very interested to hear your thoughts. It works periodically but mostly not. I'm considering replacing the logic board and power supply to nail this in one shot but obviously the battery would be a lot cheaper option. Still some money as its so hard to replace.

Mac Pro Late 2013 Power Button Won't Start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.