Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My thunderbolt to HDMI display output is not working

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2009 10.6.8. Everything was working fine until just a couple of days ago when I connected my MacBook Pro to my TV using the same cable I've been using for months and the TV monitor screen goes blue and I get the spinning wheel of death. I thought it might be an overheating issue (as I live in Barcelona and it's crazy hot here at the moment), but I didn't have this problem last year and even when my MacBook has just been turned on and has a fan on it I still get the same problem. Can anyone offer me a solution?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 12:30 PM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2015 12:30 PM in response to MartinKelly

Howdy MartinKelly,

It sounds like you're having an issue when you connect a TV to your computer with the Thunderbolt port. I would use this section of the following article to help you out:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

When using an external display be sure to check the following:

1. If you're using an Apple notebook, confirm the AC power cable or adapter is securely connected to the computer and the cable providing power to the display is also secure. It is always good to have your notebook connected to AC power when an external display is in use.
  2. Confirm display adapters are fully seated in their respective connections and that they are supported models and for the computer and display. Refer to these articles to assist you with adapter compatibility and further configuration information:
  3. Remove all display cable extenders, KVM switches, or other like devices and retest to determine if the issue is resolved.
  4. Try unplugging the video adapter or cable and then plug it back in.
  5. If more than one video adapter is in use (or "daisy-chained"), troubleshoot by using only one adapter.

Example: A mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI adapter is an unsupported configuration because there is a series of adapters in use.

6. If available, try using a different display and or adapter (or use a different connector by using DVI instead of VGA, for instance).

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

Reset the resolution

Start by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displays from the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

My thunderbolt to HDMI display output is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.