Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The map no longer appears when I select 'places', Aperture 3, Snow Leopard

I no longer see a map, nor can I scroll between pins, when trying to use 'places' in Aperture 3.2.4, and OS 10.6.8. Same applies to iPhoto 9.2.3. This happens on a MacPro and a MacBook Pro. Everything worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. It does seem to work on my MacBook Air, with Aperture 3.6 and OS10.10.3. Any hints, please? I've tried some of the fixes from an old thread in general support. I don't want to upgrade from Snow Leopard because I need Rosetta to run some other, older, software (or I need a new mortgage to replace FileMaker, In-Design, PhotoShop, and other 'legacy' stuff).

Thanks for your advice.

Gerald F

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 4:38 PM

12 replies

Jul 13, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Alvaro_MBP

I have the same problem on a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and Aperture 3.2.4, but it doesn't happen on an iMac running Mountain Lion, or a MacBook Air running Yosemite. Google Maps still works on all four computers, with Google Chrome or Safari, but the link to Aperture seems to have stopped on the early software versions. I Use Snow Leopard because I have earlier versions of Photoshop, and thus do most of my photo processing on that platform. It works (worked) well, and I don't want to spend the money and time on upgrading everything. 'Places' isn't essential, so I shall manage without if necessary, but it is really handy for correlating albums.

By the way, it doesn't work in iPhoto, either, so it may well be a map software glitch. This seems more likely if others are having the same problem.

I have made no changes to software, no updates. I was away on holiday at the time the problem arose, so the desktop was turned off, and the MacBook rarely connected to the internet.

Anyone from Apple have any info?

Gerald F

Jul 13, 2015 8:28 PM in response to Gerald F

Hmmm. I think you may be between a rock and a hard place.

Aperture (and iPhoto) used to use Google Maps for map data. A while ago, (maybe with 3.5 and OS X Mavericks?) it switched to using Apple Maps. That was 2 or 3 years ago, depending on which Aperture version it was.

It could be that whatever link and info Apple was using with Google Maps expired, and is no longer maintained. If that's the case, there's probably not much you can do other than updating to Aperture 3.6 on OS X Yosemite. You can stay on a 6-year old OS version for a while, but at some point your software will stop working, and then you'll have a huge move in front of you.

You can't really even move to other software either: If you move to something like Lightroom, which uses Google Maps, you'll need a newer version of OS X as well.

Jul 14, 2015 1:23 AM in response to William Lloyd

Thanks for your reply; I expect you're right about the link, but it would be helpful to know (preferably in advance), if only to save ages trying to fix it.

There's no real reason, other than corporate profits, why old software should stop working, and I certainly do not want to get into renting Photoshop, when travelling means I only use it for two or three months a year, but this is philosophy, not technical help. More to the point, my middle aged MacPro won't run Mavericks, so upgrade will be terminal for that machine, wasting resources.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Jul 14, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Gerald F

Supporting software has a very real cost. Many issues in Aperture 3.2 have been resolved in later versions. Back porting them for OS versions that are 6 years old is extremely complex and takes a lot of resources that could be better spent doing something else.

Your Mac Pro is more than "middle aged" if it can't run Mavericks. It is from 2007. That is an 8-year-old machine, which is something like 143 years old in human years 😉

Jul 14, 2015 8:57 AM in response to William Lloyd

It could be that whatever link and info Apple was using with Google Maps expired, and is no longer maintained. If that's the case, there's probably not much you can do other than updating to Aperture 3.6 on OS X Yosemite.

I kept one older Mac running Mt. Lion and an Aperture 3.4.5 just because that is the last Aperture version with terrain data in the maps.

They are much better for geocoding photos taken in the mountains. Apple's own maps in Aperture, iPhoto, and Photos are pretty useless for areas outside of the big cities, because they do not show much detail.

Jul 14, 2015 11:57 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, Leonie, I agree that the older mapping was more use, hence my annoyance at its disappearance. I'll perhaps try Mountain Lion and 3.4.5, if I can download it in Europe. This was a helpful answer.

Mr LLoyd, I wasn't hoping for special efforts from Apple (or Google) to improve my dated set-up, but did want it to work as it always had done before; this didn't seem too much to ask. I've been buying and using Apple computers for about twenty years, and still use a Cube for my business accounts, with eight newer models bought since that one, so I think I have given enough financial support to Apple that I can expect old stuff not deliberately to be made obsolete. And where did the "143 human years" come from?

Thanks to all for comments.

Jul 14, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Gerald F

Don't get your hopes up, Gerald. My Aperture 3.4.5 can also no longer connect to the map servers. I just tested again. It is the same with iPhoto 9.4.5. The service seems to be down for all applications that are using the better old maps. Aperture 3.5.1 and Aperture 3.6, iPhoto 9.6.1 can access Apple's map server, but no more terrain data.

Jul 14, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Gerald F

dear MAC colleagues, just confirm my issues on aperture 3.4.5 and iphoto 9.4.5 as leonie very well explained before. I would say that it is not easy to prove who cut the service but i tend to think that it was apple trying to force the "old" users to update their systems. Maybe through licence not renewed with google or directly cutting the servers.

I love the maps and ive spent a lot of time geotagging my photos but i will not update for thr moment to any higher other OS. Furthermore when aperture is discontinued and el capitan is coming soon.

My recomendation would be to report the issue to apple and pray for an answer. On my side they just ignored me.

The map no longer appears when I select 'places', Aperture 3, Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.