Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MacBook Pro graphics card failure?

Hey Guys!

I have a 15" 2011 MBP that died on me tonight and I'm trying to find the cause of the problem. Earlier tonight I was using Google Maps when my laptop became very warm and my screen started to flicker, a minute or two later the screen became distorted with random lines across the screen. Once I quit safari, the problem went away instantly. Suspecting it was something with my graphics card, I booted up League of Legends and sure enough the issue came back. Once my game started, the computer randomly restarted.

I thought it was a typical random restart, but noticed something right away. The startup sound would go off, then the Apple logo would appear with the progress bar. The progress bar would get to ~30%-50% and then would go directly to a plain white/grey screen. I left the computer on for about an hour and it did not move off the blank screen. I decided to restart if via the power button and the same problem happened.

When researching the issue, I seem to have had a few symptoms that the 2011 MBPs have had with their graphics card failures (I can attach pictures of the lines on my screen if that will help diagnosing at all). I chatted with Apple tech support and they said since it was out of warranty, they would charge me to chat online, at which point I politely declined. They also informed me that although it was one of the affected models (Late 2011 15" MBP), it was not covered under the recall due to the fact that my serial number was not one of the affected machines.

My question is, does this seem like a graphics card failure? If so, what do you think it would cost me? I think that the graphics card is directly attached to the logic board, which would mean a very expensive fix to replace it. Do you just recommend me saving my money and buying a new machine?

Thanks in advance with the help, I'll respond ASAP!

OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 11:32 PM

14 replies

Jul 11, 2015 2:33 PM in response to sbielecki

A late 2011 MBP certainly meets the age qualification for the replacement program. If you receive another rejection, I certainly would demand to know exactly on what basis and escalate upwards in the management chain if need be.

Now there is a specific test that is run to determine if it is a GPU issue. If the test does not indicate that the GPU is the problem, then it becomes another matter and the replacement program is not applicable.

Ciao.

Jul 16, 2015 4:23 AM in response to sbielecki

I have the same problem but I found a temporary fix since I don't have to time bring to Apple to fix the problem. If the MBP won't boot correctly just boot to recovery mode by pressing the power button and than press and hold the alt or option button to boot into recovery mode then select recovery mode. Once in recovery mode the screen will go blue let it be for 30 to 40 second then restart MBP. It will then boot up normally. Now go and download software gfxCardStatus form https://gfx.io/ and install. Once installed there will be a icon of a letter i or d in you top menu bar. Select it and put it on integrated only. This forces MBP to only use the integrated graphics card. This solution works for me and my Late 2011 MBP has not crash on my yet. It is a temporary fix for the time been but I strongly suggest you bring to Apple to fix the graphic card issue.

Jul 16, 2015 1:46 PM in response to sbielecki

Hey Guys, thought I would give a quick update!

After going through two people on the phone (both saying that I was not eligible for the GPU replacement), I finally gave up with phone support and went into the store. They tried booting into several different modes -- recovery, internet recovery, etc, no luck. The Genius was finally able to boot into network diagnostic mode and ran the GPU test, it failed almost instantly. He said that they'll cover the cost of replacing the logic board and anything else that they might find with the machine.

Time line for @dnhenry3 (in case you were curious):

July 11 -- Visited Apple Store

July 12 -- Online status says shipped to repair facility

July 16 -- Online status says under diagnosis.

Hoping that I won't have any more problems with the machine, I've read a few times online that people have to keep going in for logic board replacements because the issue keeps coming back. I'll update the post with more information!

2011 MacBook Pro graphics card failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.