Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hp officejet pro 8630 wireless connection problem. Printer connects to wifi. Says strong signal, HP Utility cannot find printer only fax. HP says router firewall issue. Any thoughts?

hp officejet pro 8630 wireless connection problem. Printer connects to wifi. Says strong signal, HP Utility cannot find printer only fax. HP says router firewall issue. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 11:30 PM

I am having the same exact problem but mine is with the Epson Workforce 630 printer. My printer is connected to Wifi but when I go to set up the printer it only finds the fax not the printer. I have sat on the phone for 3 hours with Apple Tech Support and we tried everything with no luck he was even puzzled. I have another older Mac that prints with no problem. The older Mac can find the printer with bonjour but the newer Mac only finds the fax. This problem only surfaced after I updated the software.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2015 11:30 PM in response to mrstern4justice

I am having the same exact problem but mine is with the Epson Workforce 630 printer. My printer is connected to Wifi but when I go to set up the printer it only finds the fax not the printer. I have sat on the phone for 3 hours with Apple Tech Support and we tried everything with no luck he was even puzzled. I have another older Mac that prints with no problem. The older Mac can find the printer with bonjour but the newer Mac only finds the fax. This problem only surfaced after I updated the software.

Oct 22, 2015 5:16 PM in response to mrstern4justice

I've been expressing the same problem within the past 2 weeks. Printer would only print 1 job then take 10 min to print the 2nd. After removing the printer from system preference, I could not reconnect the printer to my computer. It's connected to the wi-fi with good signal. Upgrading to El Capitan did not help. I spent 3.5 hrs on the phone with apple tech support and found the solution on my own.

The solution, for now at least, is to connect the printer directly to my router. My computer can now connect to the printer without any problems. I can still print to it from my other "i" devices as well this way. Had to do this for both of the printers in our house.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.