Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed gmail password now I can't get mail on computer

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 3:52 PM

Here's something you might try. It works for me, your mileage may vary. I'm running 10.10.3, have a couple week old MBP and this is how my email setup worked both when new and after I did a couple restores. In short, my OS X mail account was automagically created.

1. Go to Google with Safari and make sure you're logged out.

2. On your Mac go into System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

3. Highlight your Google account and hit the minus sign at the bottom to delete it. If prompted to confirm, say yes.

4. For the heck of it, restart your Mac.

5. Start up Safari, go to Google.com and log in.

6. *If* your system works like mine, after you sign in a dialog will pop up saying something like "Would you like to add this account to your preferences.

7. Tell it Yes.

8. It will take you back to System Preferences > Internet Accounts where you can check what you want to keep in sync. I turned on Mail and Messages.

After that, my OS X Mail App was up and running with my Google Gmail account.

-jeff

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2015 3:52 PM in response to sherri78

Here's something you might try. It works for me, your mileage may vary. I'm running 10.10.3, have a couple week old MBP and this is how my email setup worked both when new and after I did a couple restores. In short, my OS X mail account was automagically created.

1. Go to Google with Safari and make sure you're logged out.

2. On your Mac go into System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

3. Highlight your Google account and hit the minus sign at the bottom to delete it. If prompted to confirm, say yes.

4. For the heck of it, restart your Mac.

5. Start up Safari, go to Google.com and log in.

6. *If* your system works like mine, after you sign in a dialog will pop up saying something like "Would you like to add this account to your preferences.

7. Tell it Yes.

8. It will take you back to System Preferences > Internet Accounts where you can check what you want to keep in sync. I turned on Mail and Messages.

After that, my OS X Mail App was up and running with my Google Gmail account.

-jeff

Jul 11, 2015 12:47 PM in response to sherri78

Repeating the same thing does not make this any clearer. After you changed the password at the Gmail website did you change it (in 2 places) on the Mac, once for IMAP and once for SMTP. Are you using Gmail 2 factor authentication?

Apple did not change your Gmail password, it's a user problem not an Apple problem. Please answer the questions I asked.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.