Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 with iOS 8.4 will not sync new music - SOLVED

I recently installed iOS 8.4 on my iPhone 5, and it worked fine until I tried to sync with iTunes 12.2 (running in Win 8.1) to add some new music from my library to my phone. The phone would sync with iTunes successfully, but new music would not transfer to the phone. Songs deleted from my library also did not sync (they remained on the phone). After some research in these forums and some trial and error I found the SOLUTION, and the iPhone 5 now syncs correctly with iTunes 12.2. Here's the fix:

- (Before doing this I reset the iPhone by holding both buttons, but I doubt that was part of the solution. You'll see what I mean...)

- On the iPhone 5 go to Settings > Music > TURN OFF the "Show Apple Music" option

- (I tried to sync after just that first step, but new tunes still did not transfer. There was a long pause very near the end of "Step 5 of 5", and I was "Waiting for changes to be applied" for a few minutes, but it eventually completed the sync.)

- In iTunes 12.2 go to Edit > Preferences... > General tab > UNCHECK the "Show Apple Music" option > OK

- Now sync the iPhone to iTunes. It worked perfectly for me after those two steps, though again I had a long pause very near the end of "Step 5 of 5".

I hope this helps some frustrated iUsers out there!

Good luck!

Bee

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4, iTunes 12.2 running in Windows 8.1

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 9:38 AM

I've tried this but it still has not worked for me. IOS 8.4 has major problems syncing. I bought number of tracks off iTunes today. I managed to get them on to my iPod in the 'My Music' section and move them into the right playlist, but has soon as I synced them they disappeared on the playlist (even though those tracks were on the iTunes playlist backed up on my PC). In addition I ripped a CD I recently bought and added it to another iTunes playlist. Needless to say it cant be synced into the iPod. In addition IOS 8.4 has also erased most of the album artwork.

Reading other threads it appears impossible to Sync any new music onto iPods, iPads, iPhones either from a PC, Mac of the Cloud. Before IOS 8.4 was forced on us this was never a problem. Clearly IOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2 is full of major bugs that makes all Apple music Apps almost impossible to use. Hopefully next week Apple will send out another IOS version correcting the vast number of faults and bugs in IOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2. Failing that could Apple withdraw IOS 8.4 and restore a previous IOS and only release IOS 8.4 when they have sorted out all the bugs.

In future could Apple NOT release new IOS and iTunes versions until they have been thouroughly reviewed and tested with all the bugs located and removed. Could Apple also please try and consult with its customers to find out how exactly they like to used their devices. The use of playlists and the ability to manipulate them is the single most important aspect of owning an IPod Touch and a major feature the iPhone 6. IOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2 has completely sabotaged this. It is grossly irresponsible and arrogant of Apple to have done this and a betrayal of its customer base.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Bee.Farmer

I've tried this but it still has not worked for me. IOS 8.4 has major problems syncing. I bought number of tracks off iTunes today. I managed to get them on to my iPod in the 'My Music' section and move them into the right playlist, but has soon as I synced them they disappeared on the playlist (even though those tracks were on the iTunes playlist backed up on my PC). In addition I ripped a CD I recently bought and added it to another iTunes playlist. Needless to say it cant be synced into the iPod. In addition IOS 8.4 has also erased most of the album artwork.

Reading other threads it appears impossible to Sync any new music onto iPods, iPads, iPhones either from a PC, Mac of the Cloud. Before IOS 8.4 was forced on us this was never a problem. Clearly IOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2 is full of major bugs that makes all Apple music Apps almost impossible to use. Hopefully next week Apple will send out another IOS version correcting the vast number of faults and bugs in IOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2. Failing that could Apple withdraw IOS 8.4 and restore a previous IOS and only release IOS 8.4 when they have sorted out all the bugs.

In future could Apple NOT release new IOS and iTunes versions until they have been thouroughly reviewed and tested with all the bugs located and removed. Could Apple also please try and consult with its customers to find out how exactly they like to used their devices. The use of playlists and the ability to manipulate them is the single most important aspect of owning an IPod Touch and a major feature the iPhone 6. IOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2 has completely sabotaged this. It is grossly irresponsible and arrogant of Apple to have done this and a betrayal of its customer base.

Jul 19, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Bee.Farmer

SOLVED MY SYNCING PROBLEM, LOST ARTWORK AND MISSING PLAYLIST SONGS:

After updating my iPod touch to IOS8.4 all my album artwork was gone. Syncing the iPod to iTunes did not restore the artwork to the iPod and new music was not transferred. Also updated iTunes to 12.2.4 at the same time. After the iTunes update, one of my playlists (which took many hours to create) was in the list, but the songs were gone.

I have not enabled iCloud or Apple Music.

Here is what worked for me after much research and trial and error and a non-productive call to Apple Care:

Getting Sync to work and restoring artwork:

1. iTunes > preferences > general > uncheck show apple music
  2. Performed the two button reset (Hold the top button and the round button at the same time until the iPod restarts and shows the Apple logo.
  3. Deleted all songs from the iPod: settings > general > usage > manage storage > music > Edit. Click minus sign in circle next to all songs, then press delete to remove songs from iPod, (I tried syncing without deleting songs from iPod but that did not work).
  4. Sync iPod with iTunes (I did this while signed into iTunes account in - not sure if that is required, but Activity Monitor showed data was being downloaded by iTunes at the beginning of the sync). Sync took around 4.5 hours because 6,500 songs in iTunes are ripped as Apple Lossless and my sync options are set to convert higher bit rate songs are to 192 kbps.

After this procedure, my iPod music artwork was restored as well as recently added music from iTunes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restoring lost playlist songs and recently added music to iTunes (this happened after updating to iTunes 12.2.4)

Used procedure from:

:https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6561

This text is from the above link:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash

1. With iTunes 12.2 or later it may pay to turn off iCloud Music Library and Apple Music before attempting to restore an older copy of your database as shown below. These options can be found under iTunes > Preferences > General (Mac OS X).
  2. In the Previous iTunes Libraries folder (inside your main iTunes library folder) there should be a number of dated iTunes Library files. Take the most recent of these and copy it into the iTunes folder. Rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library (Corrupt).itl and then rename the restored file as iTunes Library.itl. Start iTunes. iTunes should now show all your content, bar any recent additions to or deletions from your library. Before doing this, make note of any recently added music by artist name & album name so you can find them to restore in step 3.
  3. When the backup has been restored you can use File > Add folder to Library and choose the iTunes Media folder to add in any new media added since the backup was made.
  4. Sync iPod with iTunes again to restore the lost playlist songs and recently added songs.

Mar 20, 2016 3:54 PM in response to Bee.Farmer

I also tried this strategy (having similar issues AGAIN), only this time it's taken OTHER things off of my iPod Touch too. Not just stuff I've added in the last month or so-- music I've had for YEARS, things I have purchased through iTunes...nearly everything!! When I went to my iPod touch to replicate the steps again (deleting all the music off of the iPod itself), I get into "Manage Storage" and now THERE'S NOT EVEN A "Music" SECTION FOR ME TO GO IN AND ERASE MY LIBRARY FROM THE IPOD.

Has ANYONE successfully made sense of this yet??? I feel like I'm going in circles or just about to go fully insane.

What is the point of owning all these iProducts if Apple can't get them to work together!?!?

Mar 21, 2016 5:51 AM in response to nesotericsmile

The following steps should resolve issues with syncing assuming all of the content you want is in your library.

(If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.)

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

I had to do it myself a couple of months ago when Siri stopped being able to call people or play requested music.

N.b. A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. You can however download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. A further change to the way restores are implemented means that all private app data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works. Not having the apps in your library isn't the drawback it once was, however you are still at risk of losing a favoured app if it is removed from the store and you don't have a local copy.

tt2

iPhone 5 with iOS 8.4 will not sync new music - SOLVED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.