Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6: Can't Restore From iCloud Backup Without 8.4

I backed up my iPhone 5 (running iOS 8.4) with iCloud, before recycling it and getting a new iPhone 6. I brought the new iPhone 6 home, and followed the prompts to restore from iCloud backup. I got to a screen where it listed my latest backup correctly (it said today's date at 11:12am), but it was greyed out. Underneath it said it could not update from this backup because the new phone was not running iOS 8.4. There was no option to upgrade to iOS 8.4, I was at a complete dead end.

The only way I could resolve it was to set it up as a new phone, update to 8.4, then restore to factory settings, and THEN restore from back-up. No one at the Apple Store warned me about this, and I could not find this problem written about anywhere online - I would think this would happen to almost everyone upgrading to an iPhone 6 right now! Is there any better work-around? Seems Apple should really have a button right there allowing me to upgrade the OS on the phone BEFORE restoring from a backup.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 1:11 PM

14 replies

Jul 15, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Jayniebee89

Unfortunately, there's no way to fix it except to never ship a phone unless it has the latest version of iOS before it ships. But that means they could not have stock in advance, because an update might be released before the stock in the store or warehouse is delivered to the customer. I guess they could recall millions of phones from the warehouse to update them when a new version comes out, but that would delay shipping even further.

As to making it possible to restore a later backup to an earlier version of iOS, that's not practical either, because when, say, 8.3 is released, it isn't yet known what settings or other new data will be in a backup made with 8.4. This is just a fact of life of the computer business; in general, a backup, of say, Windows 8 cannot be restored to a computer running Windows 7.

Fortunately, there's an easy solution, and if you call, chatbot or visit an Apple store they can walk you through the required steps. Or post a question here in Apple Support Communities.

Jul 17, 2015 6:52 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yep I understand that the latest version can't come pre-loaded, I think the best solution would be if Apple included a UX pathway to update to iOS 8.4 while trying to restore from back-up instead of leaving it as a dead-end, or putting a message explaining what to do.

Seems what I did, and what you suggested, is the only way around for now. To set up as new phone, update to iOS 8.4, then wipe and restore from the back-up. Definitely works.

iPhone 6: Can't Restore From iCloud Backup Without 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.