Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Mac OS X 10.6.1 to Latest

Hello everyone

I've seen some solved topics about my problem but none of them worked for me. So I decided to open a new one.

I have a Macbook Unibody A1342 13" (I know it's old) that was running fine till the hard drive crashes. By that time I had OS X Maverick and memory upgraded to 8GB DDR 3 1333 MHz(4 x 4).

So I put a new 500 GB HD and installed OS X 10.6.1 that came in the original install DVD.

The problem is that now I can't update OS X at all. Nothing works good. The system is annoyingly unstable: Google Chrome and Safari crashes all the time.

When I try to update OSX through the built in software updater, after confirming the restart message, I get the outer space background hanging forever.

I tried to download MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.1, MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.4, MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8. None of them worked out. Fail to update.

With MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.6 is even worse, there is a check sum error. I've downloaded this particular one twice because of this error.

I even tried to run the updates from the command line. Didn't work, too.

How can I update this system!!!? Could someone help, please?

Thanks a lot

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 4:11 PM

9 replies

Jul 11, 2015 5:39 PM in response to Klaus1

Thank you for your response Klaus

I think this guide is to install OS X 10.6. The thing is that I already have this version. I want to go from Snow Leopard (10.6.1) to Yosemite. But the updates are not running. None of them. Actually I just want to go to 10.6.8 which I think would improve a lot and solve the automatic updates problem.

I did some research and all the guys that reported something like that solved by manually downloading and installing some combo update. That is what where I'm stucked. The combo update are not working out for me too...

Jul 13, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Eric Root

I'm almost loosing track of what I tried so far.

I did try to install in Safe Mode, both by Software Updater and manually through the Combo Packs. No success.

This "all automatic over the internet" things Apple introduced are really ******* me off. If automatic doesn't work you have no other way to make it right. There is no workaround to download newer versions of OS X and boot from a DVD or external drive.

I 'm seriously considering installing Kubuntu on this machine, although the problems I know I may to find, that could be a worth challenge. Once it's done, it's done

Jul 14, 2015 7:26 AM in response to refonseca

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Update Mac OS X 10.6.1 to Latest

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.