Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not access desktop icons

After searching how to restore my iBook G4 with a cd restore inside the computer, I think that the Logic board fried. So if I can not boot up the missing hard drive, does that nobody can access my files? I would like to just recycle it.

iPad 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 12:42 AM

If you can boot the computer to an appropriate system CD, it sounds as if the iBook as such is working (but circuits on the logic board handling the hard drive may or may not be OK). Have you tried a disk utility when starting from a CD?

It is of course also possible that the hard drive itself is faulty. If so, you may want to replace it. This can be complicated, but there are detailed instructions to be found on the Internet (for example, at ifixit.com). If you so wish, the removed old hard drive can be tested externally; a universal USB hard drive adapter can be useful for this (one example at http://www.newertech.com/products/usb3_universaldriveadap.php, similar devices can often be found in local computer stores).

If necessary, a hard drive can be destroyed by drilling holes through it, or by using a sledge hammer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2015 12:42 AM in response to HeartinAlaska

If you can boot the computer to an appropriate system CD, it sounds as if the iBook as such is working (but circuits on the logic board handling the hard drive may or may not be OK). Have you tried a disk utility when starting from a CD?

It is of course also possible that the hard drive itself is faulty. If so, you may want to replace it. This can be complicated, but there are detailed instructions to be found on the Internet (for example, at ifixit.com). If you so wish, the removed old hard drive can be tested externally; a universal USB hard drive adapter can be useful for this (one example at http://www.newertech.com/products/usb3_universaldriveadap.php, similar devices can often be found in local computer stores).

If necessary, a hard drive can be destroyed by drilling holes through it, or by using a sledge hammer.

Jul 18, 2015 3:50 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

HI Jan,

When I placed the utility cd in, it found disk utility. But instead of seeing the icon for my hard drive, it only showed "find network", or something similar to this. The hard drive icon was gone. So I tried to eject the cd and shut down. The cd is now stuck in the computer and I was able to shut down. I really would not prefer to physically destroy my laptop, as well as try to repair it by replacing the hard drive, though. When I do donate this old laptop, will somebody be able to access my files?

Jul 20, 2015 11:46 AM in response to HeartinAlaska

Hi,

So, the launched disk utility did not find any reference at all to the hard drive, and it was not possible to repair or erase?

As can be seen from the guides at https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G4, removing a hard drive from an iBook G4 can be difficult. However, since we do not know exactly what has happened (could be something simple as a faulty cable), it is not possible to say whether or not someone will be able to access any files if you give away the laptop with the hard drive in place. If the hard drive in fact is working, there is an obvious risk that all your files may become accessible. It would probably not be a bad idea to at least try to remove the drive. Good luck!

Jul 24, 2015 11:23 AM in response to HeartinAlaska

Usually on attempted start up, you could get the computer to eject the install-restore DVD

by holding down the mouse button -- use a real USB mouse, if touch-pad is inconclusive.

The single-button mouse is best since it will just work (no guessing what button to hold.)

Also, by use of gravity to assist attempted install DVD removal, hold computer so that the

optical drive slot is facing downward.

If you had access to another older Mac with FireWire ports and a FW400 cable with the

same connector on both ends, to see if your failed iBook G4 could start in Target Disk

Mode (FireWire TDM allows access to non-boot data on the hard drive, if it works) then

the hard disk drive could be accessed by the other computer's Disk Utility and erased.

• How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

There is a likelihood of the internal hard disk drive's failure is the main problem; though

some of these older iBook G4 models also developed other hardware failures. I have a

nice condition last model series iBook G4 12-inch that works fine, low time, needs battery.

Could also use a new SSD from macsales, they have legacy models for old ATA Macs.

Tedious labor and chances of breakage help make swapping hard drives a task in itself.

The noted iFixit repair guide for that series is recommended; and depending on which

one it is (they differ internally) the configuration of parts can be less a surprise. Either way

the job is a tough one, if the unit is to be restored without any additional damages from this.

Anyway, to be able to remove the install-restore DVD is a priority; and to attempt to get

FW Target Disk mode - so other computer to see & use it to erase the HDD in the iBook,

is another important consideration. If the iBook is in otherwise good shape, someone may

be interested in acquiring the computer, in trade for helping you remove the HDD data.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Can not access desktop icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.