Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use an unlocked virgin mobile 5s on a GSM MVNO?

Hey, folks:

I've got a question about switching to a GSM MVNO (mobile virtual network operator). I'm currently with Virgin Mobile (which is CDMA) and using an iPhone 5s. Per the new government regulations and VM's own guidelines, I can at least get the GSM part of the phone unlocked.

I'm actually happy with their service, but they recently grandfathered my plan (2.5 GB LTE, 1200 minutes for $40 a month), and the new plan at that price point is only 1GB of data. I'm gathering info now in case they pull the plug on my plan.

Does anyone have any experience with using unlocked, GSM-capable VM phones on a GSM network? VM is issuing this kind of weasly "Welllll, we can unlock your phone, but it probably isn't going to work with anyone else" statement.

TIA for any help.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4, Built-in taser

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 6:00 PM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2015 6:47 PM in response to Mattand

FYI: There are no new "government regulations" regarding unlocking. There is a voluntary agreement involving the 4 major carriers in the US that was implemented by them largely to stave off government regulations regarding required unlocking.

Virgin Mobile is under no legal obligation to unlock your phone and there is no financial incentive for them to do so. At this time, they do not offer unlocking for iPhones and have no plans to do so.

Jul 11, 2015 6:58 PM in response to Mattand

The only unlocked GSM side of a CDMA iPhone in the U.S. is from Verizon, and that is a requirement the FCC imposed for Verizon to acquire additional bandwidth. No carrier is forced to unlock a cell phone. Since they are heavily subsidizing the purchase there is no incentive to do so until they recoup their investment. An unlocked, no contract iPhone is $649, while a locked contract, I.e., subsidized iPhone is $199.

Jul 12, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Mattand

Umm, okay...

While I was a bit off about the regulation part, Vigrin Mobile will unlock the GSM side of an iPhone 5s if you meet certain criteria, which I do: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/unlock/

Geez, Tim, it takes all of about 8 seconds to Google that link. And Ralph: I'm not asking VM to bankrupt their company for me. I literally said I was happy with the service. I want to have a backup plan in case they kill my plan altoghether.

If you don't have any experience regarding the actual subject in the question, that's fine. Just say "Sorry, I'm not sure", or "Probably not, but I can't say for certain." No one will think the less of you.

I mean, did you guys even understand what I was asking, or did just see the mistake and go right into Nitpicking Mode?

Yeesh.

Use an unlocked virgin mobile 5s on a GSM MVNO?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.