Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bento alternative?

Hello Apple / Mac people. We're a video production company. For years we ran 5 copies of Bento in our office... 1 on the server and 4 users. It's how our Producers kept track of projects... what stage they were in, client contacts relative to each, details, props, talent casting, scripts, locations, permits, etc. It was great, but then of course Bento was discontinued. We looked at Filemaker Pro, but frankly it is WAS too much horsepower and a significant learning curve, plus the cost per user including a server copy is far beyond our comfort level.

Besides our industry, I'm betting there are photographers, ad agencies, design shops, and other Mac-focused businesses that need a simple, sharable database between it's employees. Right now we have spreadsheets shared on our office server, but there has to be a more elegant method? Surely there are other small businesses (3-15 people) that would gladly pay for a simple, solid sharable database for mac? If anyone has a viable solution, we will personally deliver a case of your favorite malted beverage right to your company's doorstep!

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 12:57 AM

The comments below are from a web page I wrote a while back; they may not be fully up to date. I've not tried any of these programs.

Records, from Push Popcorn, has some similarities with Bento, but is more powerful and flexible (though with nowhere near the power of Filemaker Pro, of course). However it cannot import records from Bento or other programs. It requires OSX 10.11 and is available from the Mac App Store at $9.99; there is a 30-day free trial from their website.

'Panorama Sheets' from Provue is a simple version of their full 'Panorama' database ($39.95 and $299 respectively): the 'Sheets' version does not generate reports, working only in List view, though it will print Avery Labels. The version from their website will run on Tiger upwards. As to the full version, though it's powerful, FileMaker Pro is the same price and is a better bet.

iData3 and its update iData Pro 4 is a basic but reasonably flexible database: v3 will run on 10.5 up, v4 requires 1.7 up; it's $69.95 and there is a version for iOS. There is a simplified 'Lite' version for $29.95. Both can be used in a trial version for 30 days of actual use.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2017 12:57 AM in response to moosefuel

The comments below are from a web page I wrote a while back; they may not be fully up to date. I've not tried any of these programs.

Records, from Push Popcorn, has some similarities with Bento, but is more powerful and flexible (though with nowhere near the power of Filemaker Pro, of course). However it cannot import records from Bento or other programs. It requires OSX 10.11 and is available from the Mac App Store at $9.99; there is a 30-day free trial from their website.

'Panorama Sheets' from Provue is a simple version of their full 'Panorama' database ($39.95 and $299 respectively): the 'Sheets' version does not generate reports, working only in List view, though it will print Avery Labels. The version from their website will run on Tiger upwards. As to the full version, though it's powerful, FileMaker Pro is the same price and is a better bet.

iData3 and its update iData Pro 4 is a basic but reasonably flexible database: v3 will run on 10.5 up, v4 requires 1.7 up; it's $69.95 and there is a version for iOS. There is a simplified 'Lite' version for $29.95. Both can be used in a trial version for 30 days of actual use.

Feb 22, 2017 8:55 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks for the info. I think what I most want is a database which will allow custom layouts, like Apple Numbers (although that's just a spreadsheet I know) on my iPad, so I can create custom contracts and invoices which also collect data and put dates in the database. That way, when I select options, dates, and calculate prices it all gets turned into data which can go on a calendar, clients' info is added to an address file, etc. I think it's a tall order, maybe only Filemaker could handle it, or I'll stick with Numbers.

Jul 12, 2015 1:53 AM in response to Jayatbpi

Hi Jayatbpi. Take a look at Tap Forms by Tap Zapp. There are versions for Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch. Check out their support page for screencasts and manual. The app includes a Bento templates importer.

For team collaboration, check out Slack. You might be able push data between Tap Forms and Slack using Zapier. Or contact Tap Form's developer about creating a Zap.

Then there are video production management tools like Shotgun and Scenios.

Bento alternative?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.