Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find HD usage on 2009 MacBook Pro?

I am trying to update my 10.6.8 OS to Yosemite. When I click on Download at the App Store nothing happens.
I have cleared a lot of photos and backed up iPhoto and other files, but CANNOT find out how to check usage. It is a well kept secret. Am extremely frustrated! can Apple users please help me? I cannot download software i need due to old OS!!

thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 11:19 PM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 12:07 AM in response to Shannon w

Another way, when the hard drive icon and name is visible on the desktop, is to

single-click the icon to highlight it, then use Get Info from the main File dropdown

menu in the Finder. This will open an information box on the selected item.

Or highlight item, and use keyboard Command + i keys to expose the information box.

{If the hard drive icon and name, usually Macintosh HD, is not visible on the desktop, you

could click on Finder in the main desktop window and view in the drop-down menu, the

Finder Preferences, and see how you can make the hard drive icon appear on desktop.}

Another way around most Mac OS X, is to choose 'About this Mac' from within the Apple

menu under , and then use the "More Info" box that will open System Profiler.

Most everything about the computer, both hardware and software, is within this area.

Usually your Help Viewer in the computer (see Help) in the main Finder window can

be used to answer these basic questions when offline, as part of the built-in help.

Or a search engine and carefully chosen words to limit random results, online.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

How to find HD usage on 2009 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.