Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 problems with syncing playlists without icloud-mediathek

iTunes 12.2 seems to be very poor!

I had to say that I do not use the new icloud-mediathek and no iMatch!

First of all I cannot use it (because of about 160K songs; there is a 25K songs restriction) and I will never use (because of the changes of the original files lossless to backup-files with DRM). The only thing I have done is to start the apple music 3 month trial with username and after that I signed off the trial after 3 months on my iPhone again.

My problem is a little bit different with this "naked" iTunes 12.2 without icloud-mediathek and iMatch but with a normal account.

Every time I changed a playlist in iTunes (e.g. with a new song or new order) on my mac mini I get a new playlist (duplicate) with same name sometimes with a "1" in the end in iTunes and sometimes on the iPhone 6/iPad mini as well when I am syncing with iPhone 6 or iPad mini???

Both the original playlist and the duplicate playlist with a "1" at the end did not have the content with the previously change.

Additionally after syncing the music to my iPhone 6/iPad mini the covers are gone. Not at all, only covers of bought music in iTunes will be shown on the devices.

Strange to say but after syncing with my old iPod everything is working correctly. All playlists will be updated and no extra playlists will be created in iTunes. Everything is fine.

I am really annoyed because in face of this problem because I am working with playlists very intensively and need to sync them to my devices every day.

Do everyone has a solution or a hint for solving this problem?

The only thing I tried was to uncheck apple music and disconnect my iTunes account. Both did not solve the problem with new created playlists but the covers for all tracks are there again.

Is apple interested in forcing people to disconnect every service inside iTunes ???

Thank you so much

Mac Mini late 2014, 2.8 Ghz i5, 8GB, Yosemite 10.10.4

iPhone 6 128 GB

iPad Mini 128 GB

iPod 160GB

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 2 Ghz Intel Core, 8GB RAM

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 8:53 AM

11 replies

Jul 12, 2015 8:57 AM in response to fromBerlinGermany

As frustrating as using iTunes to sync music to my iPhone is, there’s probably nothing better to replace it. I can’t count the hours I’ve spent rebuilding playlists, re-syncing music, or reentering metadata. The damage that Apple Match did to my entire library was incredible, let alone that what it puts out on iCloud is not truly representative of what’s in my iTunes library; $29.95 wasted. You couldn’t ever convince me to try Apple Music. I suppose everything would work well if all my music was purchased through iTunes.

Here’s my question… When I sync music to my iPhone, it always goes through the various Steps…

• Determining Tracks to Sync
  • Waiting for Changes to be Applied
  • Copying XXX of XXX

What I don’t understand is that no matter how many times I sync the iPhone, it states “Copying XXX of XXX”. I could sync it 50 times and it will still claim to be copying tracks. Is it truly syncing/copying anything?

Jul 12, 2015 9:34 AM in response to NWBill

I can understand your frustration. The same to me, tons of music and years of tagging. Fingercrossing that my medaithek was not scrambled because I couldn't use the icloud-mediathek and I have "only" the problem with no correct syncing. In iTunes - so far - all my playlists are obviously not deleted or scrambled and the covers are correct as well. I don't want to think about I would do when this apple-music-disaster happened to me.

Not as an answer but only my experience to your question I could say that:

1. yes, there is a copying (in my case)

2. yes, it takes a long time (it depends on the adjustments: if you using 128kb/s for your device it takes longer because of the coding from lossless/320 or whatever to 128kb/s)

3. normally (in the version before) it took less time especially when you create a playlist with tracks which are already on your device. Now, this is my experience, it seems to be that the tracks will be copied again. But I proved some folders whether the duplicates are new tracks in the folders. This seems not to be the case - fortunately. This would be a disaster for me.

Jul 18, 2015 2:24 AM in response to fromBerlinGermany

Unfortunately I have this problem as well, although I have never used iTunes Match. Everyday when I connect my iPhone to iTunes, it creates duplicates of 2 certain playlists, adding the '1' after them. I have removed all my music from my iPhone, I am just about to restart my computer, open iTunes and re-sync my music, I'll let you know if this has any positive effect!

Jul 18, 2015 6:41 AM in response to Richard_Parsons

So, I solved my problem.
The only way which is helping for me was to delete all the music on my iPad and my iPhone as well and to sync it again.

I suppose that there is something weird happened when you sync the first time after update on IOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2 maybe if you create a apple music account the same time.

If you use Music you can switch to "my music", There you can decide between different options "titles, albums, genre..." and so on. At the end of the list there is a checkbox for "offline music" which is very confusing if you read the description under the checkbox (don't know this in english because I use a german version) but this checkbox has to be marked in my opinion otherwise you get the music (or parts of them) from the cloud to you device. If this happened there is going something wrong with all your playlists and tracks (covers as well).

My steps for solution were:

1. connect device with iTunes, uncheck box sync music with device -> sync (be careful: if you delete music on your device first and all the playlists all the playlists will be deleted as well in iTunes because of synchronisation backwards!)

2. disconnect device from iTunes -> delete all the music on the device manually

3. connect device -> check sync music with device without any track/playlist

4. check a playlist and sync (no duplicate might be created on the device anymore)

In face of about tones of tracks on my devices (25k) it took about 1 day each device to sync all tracks again but no more duplicate will be created and everytime correct playlists with current tracks will be synced.

If one use apple nowadays one has to be patient :-)()())()( ooooooommmmmmmh

Aug 15, 2015 3:30 PM in response to fromBerlinGermany

I also found this annoying but I think I found a work-around, this is what I did:

1. Edit one of my playlist, after I did that, (like always) the *Playlist 1 appeared.

2. I deleted everthing in Playlist 1 on my mac

3. Renamed Playlist 1 to P 1

4. Do not delete P1 in Itunes

After that, when I edit ANY playlist it somehow doesn't duplicate. So far so good.

*Playlist 1 is whatever the name of the playlist being duplicated. For instance Dubstep 1

Hope this helps 😁

iTunes 12.2 problems with syncing playlists without icloud-mediathek

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.